ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#92339 06/26/05 07:32 AM
J
The point is that the law does not say you will get a ticket because you drove without a seatbelt in 1958. Therefore the law is NOT ex post facto.

A law that changes something that was previously OK to something prohibited is just a NEW law.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#92340 06/26/05 09:14 AM
I
Jim I can not agree with your reasoning.

Generally laws will not make you change something that is existing in order to comply. FLs craziness not withstanding.

Auto emissions would be an example of a new law that does not force old vehicles to comply.

Building codes are certainly another that allow existing to remain 99% of the time.

Sprinkler systems and ADA requirements are a couple items that break that rule but they do not apply to single family homes.

Greg if I got a seat belt ticket in a car that was manufactured before seat belts where installed I would fight it as far as I had to,.... or more realistically as far as I could afford to. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#92341 06/26/05 09:42 AM
G
I just came up with a new plan to make me rich and un-famous. I'm going to go to each and every house in my area and tell the homeowners and businessmen that the electrical code has changed and now I want them to install AFCI and GFCI protection on all the circuits that are now required to have said protection. I want EGC's installed in all homes that currently have the 2-wire ungrounded system. Yea, that will happen.Oh, I almost forgot GFP on all 480v. systems over 1200a.

Did you catch the one about AFCI's on existing circuits?? Message here- adding an outlet to a bedroom circuit does not require AFCI protecting the circuit no more than adding a feeder or branch circuit requires adding GFP to an existing 480v. 1200a.Service. Now installing a NEW bedroom circuit requires AFCI on that circuit. The rule is a branch circuit requirement.

George Little
#92342 06/26/05 10:00 AM
I
George FWIW I think your conclusion is correct and reasonable.

It's nice when both of those conditions are met.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#92343 06/26/05 10:32 AM
A
George, I'm glad you are an inspector. You are reading the Code the same way I do.
I explain to contractors that downstream of what they did has to comply with the Code. If they change the service equipment then they have to add a lot of Code required items. Changing or adding an outlet at the end of a circuit, in my opinion doesn't require upgrading what is upstream of the work.
There are AFCI devices but the Code hasn't caught up to them , it would be nice to be able to add an AFCI receptacle as easily as a GFI receptacle.
Alan

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
#92344 07/03/05 12:56 PM
P
I would say that if there is as much confusion and debate covering the interpertation as is present here then I would fall back on 90-1 practical safeguarding. The reason for the AFCI protection is to give the protection they afford. Until NFPA resolves this dispute then err on the side of safety.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard