ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 392 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#91499 01/23/05 11:55 AM
E
MX, your argument makes no sense at all. You base your panel location on the size of the load? What the heck does that have do do with a major failure. Why would a lightly loaded panel be ok in one bdedroom but not a master bedroom. Thank god most guys don't bother submitting code chnge proposals because there are some real oddball ideas out there. I can see it now. All residential loadcenters shall be installed in a NASA approved explosionproof vault. [Linked Image] The good news is we work from the NEC and therfore I can put as many panels in bedrooms as i would like.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#91500 01/23/05 01:05 PM
L
Mx - I agree with electricman. What does the load have to do with the location ?
Why would you prefer it in another bedroom not the master ? With this reasoning you would rather have it in your kids bedroom where they are more likely to tamper with it ? If I were wiring this apartment and had to place the panel in a bedroom I would chose the master for this very reason.

#91501 01/23/05 05:26 PM
electricman:

You've brought up many good points in your post. The load size matters because a lightly loaded panel would be less likely to suffer a major failure than a heavily loaded one. Of course, any gear can fail at any loading, but heat buildup, potential for arcing, etc. would be higher for a larger load, would it not? Since both failures cited in the threads above started with the high current loads, I think the logic stands.

I wouldn't even suggest a code change proposal on this, mainly because if panels in bedrooms have been around for a long time, it was not considered a safety hazard before. Like I said in my last post, just because Code allows it doesn't mean it's the best of ideas. And that's the position I take on this.

The reality in construction on many projects dictates that there really is no other choice for panel location. In that case, you try for best and safest possible location. If I had to install a panel in my current apartment, the dining room area has suitable wall space and clearances. And only my small bedroom has a wall cavity with suitable clearance space for a panel (not likely to be blocked by furniture.)

NASA explosionproof vault? I think we all know NASA's record with explosions. [Linked Image]

luckyshadow:

As for loading, I just answered that above. [Linked Image]

And at every apartment with bedroom panels I've seen, the panels were NEVER in the master bedroom! Which makes your point of kids tampering extremely valid! That is why I just don't like the idea of panels in bedrooms period, since they seem to end up in the smaller bedroom.

Finally, my conditional o.k. of not in the master bedroom is based on the admittedly biased view of being single with no kids. If I had kids I definately wouldn't want it in their room! Though I can also see that IF something did happen, and the panel were in the Master bedroom, then an adult would be better able to handle the situation. The flip side? If something went wrong, say in the middle of the night, the resulting smoke fumes incapacitated the adults, the fire spreads, you can fill in the rest..... so there is no clear cut answer.

I'm glad to see so many points of view being expressed here, that's what it's all about. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 01-23-2005).]

Stupid should be painful.
#91502 01/23/05 05:39 PM
L
Well thought out points !
Maybe it is time to "outlaw" panels in bedrooms

#91503 01/23/05 06:57 PM
G
NFPA is a tombstone agency. How many people have died from panel fires in a bedroom?

Greg Fretwell
#91504 01/27/05 01:25 AM
Good question, gfretwell. I'll do some research and post here with the results!

Stupid should be painful.
#91505 01/27/05 09:49 AM
Y
Outlets cause more fires in bedrooms then anything lets get them otta the bedrooms also!

#91506 01/27/05 10:31 PM
L
Thats why you now use AFCI breakers in bedrooms.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard