ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#90507 11/24/04 07:14 PM
S
In a recent post by "royta" 11-18-04 he mentioned type 6-3 SER in a 3/4 inch pipe to a building, which I think is a underground installation.I looked at a job today with a 2inch pvc underground to a barn with a 2/3 SER aluminum cable stuffed in it to feed a panel.

I thought that Type SE or SER was only for above ground use...even if in a conduit...right?

shortcircuit

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#90508 11/24/04 10:12 PM
H
Right.

-Hal

#90509 11/24/04 11:17 PM
R

#90510 11/26/04 12:17 PM
T
I thought that Type SE or SER was only for above ground use...even if in a conduit...right?
Sorry that is wrong. Type USE is limited to underground and outdoor use because it is not fire retardant treated. Type SE and Se-R is permissible in any application were Type USE is allowed as well as for inside of buildings because it is fire retardent treated. Type SE-R has the bare conductor as an individual conductor rather than as an overwrap of the other conductors. The R=round were a "C" would mean Concentric. Type SE-R is permitted in underground conduit. The conduit fill calculation is done by taking the cross sectional area of the cable and assuring that it is less than fifty three percent of the cross sectional area of the conduit. In other words for conduit fill purposes the entire cable is treated as a single conductor.
--
Tom H

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 11-26-2004).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#90511 11/26/04 12:32 PM
I
Tom do you have any references for using SE underground?

2003 UL White Book
SERVICE CABLE (TXKT)
SERVICE ENTRANCE CABLE (TYLZ)
GENERAL
The cable is designated as follows:
Type SE — Indicates cable for aboveground installation. Both the individual insulated conductors and the outer jacket or finish of Type SE are suitable for use where exposed to sun.

I can not find anything that says Type SE is allowed underground.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#90512 11/26/04 12:39 PM
I
I should have included the USE info too.

2003 UL White Book
SERVICE CABLE (TXKT)
SERVICE ENTRANCE CABLE (TYLZ)
GENERAL

Types USE and USE-2 — Indicates cable for underground installation including direct burial in the earth. Cable in sizes 4/0 AWG and smaller and having all conductors insulated is suitable for all of the underground uses for which Type UF cable is permitted by the NEC. Types USE and USE-2 are not suitable for use in premises or aboveground except to terminate at the service equipment or metering equipment. Both the insulation and the outer covering, when used, on single and multiconductor Types USE and USE-2, are suitable for use where exposed to sun.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#90513 11/26/04 12:55 PM
T
338.2 Definitions.
Service-Entrance Cable. A single conductor or multiconductor assembly provided with or without an overall covering, primarily used for services, and of the following types:
Type SE. Service-entrance cable having a flame-retardant, moisture-resistant covering.
Type USE. Service-entrance cable, identified for underground use, having a moisture-resistant covering, but not required to have a flame-retardant covering.

Notice that the difference between the two cable types is that type USE is not required to have a flame retardant outer jacket. That is what limits it to outdoors, if sunlight resistant, and underground. Type SE has all the characteristics of Type USE and it also has a flame-retardant covering. Type SE can be used anywhere that type USE can be used as well as being used as feeder and branch circuits in any application were type NM can be used. The U in Type USE is to limit it's use to underground rather than to limit the use of type SE to above ground. We have batted around the idea that conduit is a wet location when installed outdoors. I don't think that any of us would argue that a conduit that is above ground outdoors is uniquely different than the same conduit underground.

Let me point out that Type SE Style R is the only type of SE commercially available in most ares that has four conductors. Has anyone here seen four conductor type USE cable. How do you think that three phase service gets done were the cable has to extend indoors to reach the service equipment cabinet? Do all of you build raceway to enclose individual single conductor type USE cables?
--
Tom H

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 11-26-2004).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#90514 11/26/04 01:02 PM
I
Tom, characteristics not withstanding SE is not UL listed for underground use.

Unless you have some info that says otherwise.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#90515 11/26/04 01:04 PM
I
Let me point out that Type SE Style R is the only type of SE commercially available in most ares that has four conductors. Has anyone here seen four conductor type USE cable. How do you think that three phase service gets done were the cable has to extend indoors to reach the service equipment cabinet? Do all of you build raceway to enclose individual single conductor type USE cables?

Run RHW in a raceway?

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#90516 11/26/04 02:16 PM
T
The maxim of the law is that silence is consent. That means that anything that the law does not specifically forbid it allows.
--
Tom H

Tom Horne

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard