ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 398 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#89624 10/12/04 12:39 PM
G
I don't think you will have any problems operating the overcurrent device with the down sized ground. I would just pigtail the grounding wire and get on with my life. It is all you have. Like another poster said, if you really think you will be losing sleep over it, put them on a GFCI. That downsized ground will certainly be enough to trip a GFCI.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89625 10/12/04 07:07 PM
S
Thanx for the replies...1st,I don't think the "grandfathered" rule would apply once I change the 2 prong style plugs to the currently used 3 prong style plugs since an upgrade is taking place with the installation of new grounded style recepticles.
But, I wasn't sure if the reduced size grounding wire in the old romex was acceptable for grounding when the code (250.122)specifies a #14 copper equipment ground to be used on 15 amp circuits.
Also at the main panel I'll have to unwrap the ground from under the metal romex clamp and connect it directly to the ground bar,as well as unwrapping the ground wire at each outlet box from under the box clamp and splicing them together and pigtail to the box and also to the device itself.Right?
Or can I just ground the device to the box and leave the grounds as they were originally installed in the 1960's?

#89626 10/12/04 08:43 PM
Or can I just ground the device to the box and leave the grounds as they were originally installed in the 1960's?
You can but the Code did not permit the installation in that manner when it was installed (at least I don't think it did).
Also at the main panel I'll have to unwrap the ground from under the metal romex clamp and connect it directly to the ground bar, as well as unwrapping the ground wire at each outlet box from under the box clamp and splicing them together and pigtail to the box and also to the device itself. Right?
Again IMHO, you are correct. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#89627 10/12/04 09:02 PM
E
e57 Offline
Sorry Charlie, I spaced your first post.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#89628 10/12/04 10:44 PM
No problem, I made a mistake just last year. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard