ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#8942 04/11/02 12:42 PM
F
frodo Offline OP
wow! thanks for that info. now i dont want to push my luck here but what about a cieling fan mounted in a t-bar cieling?

i have seen a few contraptions but wanted to know if anyhting new was available.

-regards

frodo

#8943 04/11/02 04:24 PM
E
There are also boxes for this application.
Not looking to cause a fuss but Frodo, I before E except after C.

#8944 04/11/02 11:36 PM
Broom Pusher and
In California, here's a "Typical" for this installation:

* Ceiling Wires at opposite corners [similar to the ones used for the T-Bar],
* Screws at the opposite corners [opposite of the Wires] - screwed through the grid into the fixture,
* Earthquake clips at all 4 corners.

To add:

All Raceways and Cables in T-Bar Ceilings to be supported by Independent Wires [not the ones used on the T-Bar].

If the fixture is 50 Lbs or more, then all 4 corners to be supported.
Also if the fixture does not land on the Main T-Bar grid on both ends, all 4 corners must be supported.

Exit signs and similar things have more involved.

Just goes to show you that different Juristdictions request different things.

Best to verify with the AHJ's on this, but the stuff I have listed here will comply in "Shakee Town", so should be at least a minimum elsewhere...[???].

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#8945 04/12/02 07:25 AM
F
frodo Offline OP
hi,
thanks for all the replies. the light fixture is going to be an incandescent. i figure a octagon box and a bracket will do the trick...if it weighed more then i would probably string it up...i cant remember the last time there was a quake in kentucky..

and thanks for the spelling correction i sometimes get in a hurry on typing and my memory is going...sorry

thanks

again

#8946 04/12/02 07:32 AM
R
Scott,

If the raceways/cables are supported by wires that are not connected to the T-bar, where does the bottom of the wire connect to?

#8947 04/12/02 09:55 AM
W
Frodo,

There hasn't been a quake recently in KY, but don't forget that you may be in the vicinity of the New Madrid Fault, one of the areas of the continental US that is most ripe for an earthquake ( after the Left Coast ).

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/prepare/factsheets/NewMadrid/

I have found this topic very interesting, as we may be doing some work in our basement drop in ceiling soon. We currently have flourescent fixtures that fit in the 2x2 grid, but would like to switch to recessed.

[This message has been edited by wageoghe (edited 04-12-2002).]

#8948 04/12/02 08:44 PM
All "independent support wires" have to be tied to the grid, (or something below, a wall's great, at least secured on both ends). No floating tbar wires with dumb Caddys. Support wires aren't allowed to do that.
Try 300-11(a) ('99), or 300.11(A) ('02)
The '96 Code didn't spell it out as well, so I think that's why it was clarified.
Scott, have you run into the "4 wire'4 screw" bunch yet?
It's enforceable because the local Codes can do it on a "geological" basis. EARTHQUAKE [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 04-12-2002).]

#8949 04/12/02 09:08 PM
Broom Pusher and
Rojo-sy [Redsy [Linked Image]],

Thanks for picking up on that. I should re-phrase that part to be:

The wires used for supporting the T-Bar grid, which are installed by the Ceiling guys [such as the wires for Main runners and the Seismic "Code" wires] are not to be used for supporting raceways, cables and the like.
Separate wires are installed for said items, and their ends will terminate to the grid or something that makes them secure on the other end.

Scott W ["Electure"] covers this better than I have [Linked Image] [Thankx Scott !!!!]

On a non-related subject; How is the German word for "Thank You" spelled? Is it "Danka Shein"?

Respectfully, Your "Illiterate in more than one Language Moderator"

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#8950 04/13/02 12:02 AM
N
Scott & Scott,
I recently ran into this in Rancho Cucamonga. (A very tough jurisdiction for those who don’t know) As we all know we are still under the ’96 code out here. I don’t have a ’96 here with me but I believe it states (and we were required to do this) that the electrical support wires not be tied to the grid. The bottom just floats. Yes the ’99 now requires them to be attached.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard