ECN Forum
Posted By: frodo Drop In Cieling - 04/10/02 12:08 PM
hi,
what is the best way to hang a light fixture (lightweight) from drop in cieling tile? 4 x 4.

its been awhile since i did this.

thnaks for any replies

frodo
Posted By: Ron Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/10/02 03:53 PM
Support the actual weight from two opposite corners of the fixture with a cable up to the underside of the slab above. Then lay it in the grid.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/10/02 04:27 PM
I rarely ever see a drop in fixture hanging from anything. There are clips you can get that lock the fixture into the grid.

And then they just sit in the grid. Never, never have seen one fall out.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/10/02 05:00 PM
There are mounting bars used for this. Caddy makes them. They snap on to the grid and you mount a box to it. Very simple to do.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 04-10-2002).]
Posted By: frodo Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/10/02 05:31 PM
hi,
thanks for the replies. i should have mentioned the type of construction. single family dwelling, one story. the house was gutted by fire and they are going back with a t-bar cieling.

all rooms except laundry and bath are getting this treatment. livng rm has 4 recessed lights, kitch has single incandescent as well as the bedroom.

i was thinking that the recessed cans would just st on the tile and clip to the t-bar...fed from 1/2 alum. flex

the other rooms i was thinking of a old work box simply cut into the tile. i know they make a box that has two spans that can attach to a joist or t-bar..that may work?

thanks

greg
Posted By: Ron Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/10/02 07:38 PM
300.11(A)Support wires and associated fittings that provide secure support and that are installed in addition to the ceiling grid support wires shall be permitted as the sole support. Where independent support wires are used, they shall be secured at both ends. Cables and raceways shall not be supported by ceiling grids.
Posted By: The_Lightman Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/11/02 01:17 AM
"And then they just sit in the grid. Never, never have seen one fall out."

Saw 48 lay-ins fall out last summer. The whole grid on the second floor of a call center fell from holding up years of unsupported data cable.
What a mess.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/11/02 01:24 AM
Frodo an old work box in the tile will not work. It will cause the ceiling tile to sag and will not even be secure enough to mount a fixture. There are bars for evey kind of recessed light and ceiling box. These allow for proper installation. Voltron, here in Mass (not sure if its NEC too) the ceiling holds the fixtures however if they contain a ballast of some type they must be chained to the building structure. This way they remain hanging if the ceiling comes down.
Posted By: electure Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/11/02 02:41 AM
I don't think Caddy makes a T-Bar hanger for 4x4 tiles. (Or do they?)
These fixtures must be independently supported, but the support fastened to the grid.
We use support wires fastened to the structure above, and EMT screwed to the housing/box and tie wired to the grid to achieve this on a 4x4. (But then again I'm in SoCA=earthquake)
You might want to check the Caddy IDS hanger if this is a surface mounted fixture.
Don't depend on the tile for any support at all.
It wouldn't hurt to call your AHJ and have them tell you what they want [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 04-10-2002).]
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/11/02 03:48 PM
[Linked Image from erico.com]
The CADDY Fasteners T-Grid box hanger catalog page for 2' by 4' grids.

Al
Posted By: frodo Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/11/02 04:42 PM
wow! thanks for that info. now i dont want to push my luck here but what about a cieling fan mounted in a t-bar cieling?

i have seen a few contraptions but wanted to know if anyhting new was available.

-regards

frodo
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/11/02 08:24 PM
There are also boxes for this application.
Not looking to cause a fuss but Frodo, I before E except after C.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/12/02 03:36 AM
In California, here's a "Typical" for this installation:

* Ceiling Wires at opposite corners [similar to the ones used for the T-Bar],
* Screws at the opposite corners [opposite of the Wires] - screwed through the grid into the fixture,
* Earthquake clips at all 4 corners.

To add:

All Raceways and Cables in T-Bar Ceilings to be supported by Independent Wires [not the ones used on the T-Bar].

If the fixture is 50 Lbs or more, then all 4 corners to be supported.
Also if the fixture does not land on the Main T-Bar grid on both ends, all 4 corners must be supported.

Exit signs and similar things have more involved.

Just goes to show you that different Juristdictions request different things.

Best to verify with the AHJ's on this, but the stuff I have listed here will comply in "Shakee Town", so should be at least a minimum elsewhere...[???].

Scott SET
Posted By: frodo Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/12/02 11:25 AM
hi,
thanks for all the replies. the light fixture is going to be an incandescent. i figure a octagon box and a bracket will do the trick...if it weighed more then i would probably string it up...i cant remember the last time there was a quake in kentucky..

and thanks for the spelling correction i sometimes get in a hurry on typing and my memory is going...sorry

thanks

again
Posted By: Redsy Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/12/02 11:32 AM
Scott,

If the raceways/cables are supported by wires that are not connected to the T-bar, where does the bottom of the wire connect to?
Posted By: wageoghe Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/12/02 01:55 PM
Frodo,

There hasn't been a quake recently in KY, but don't forget that you may be in the vicinity of the New Madrid Fault, one of the areas of the continental US that is most ripe for an earthquake ( after the Left Coast ).

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/prepare/factsheets/NewMadrid/

I have found this topic very interesting, as we may be doing some work in our basement drop in ceiling soon. We currently have flourescent fixtures that fit in the 2x2 grid, but would like to switch to recessed.

[This message has been edited by wageoghe (edited 04-12-2002).]
Posted By: electure Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/13/02 12:44 AM
All "independent support wires" have to be tied to the grid, (or something below, a wall's great, at least secured on both ends). No floating tbar wires with dumb Caddys. Support wires aren't allowed to do that.
Try 300-11(a) ('99), or 300.11(A) ('02)
The '96 Code didn't spell it out as well, so I think that's why it was clarified.
Scott, have you run into the "4 wire'4 screw" bunch yet?
It's enforceable because the local Codes can do it on a "geological" basis. EARTHQUAKE [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 04-12-2002).]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/13/02 01:08 AM
Rojo-sy [Redsy [Linked Image]],

Thanks for picking up on that. I should re-phrase that part to be:

The wires used for supporting the T-Bar grid, which are installed by the Ceiling guys [such as the wires for Main runners and the Seismic "Code" wires] are not to be used for supporting raceways, cables and the like.
Separate wires are installed for said items, and their ends will terminate to the grid or something that makes them secure on the other end.

Scott W ["Electure"] covers this better than I have [Linked Image] [Thankx Scott !!!!]

On a non-related subject; How is the German word for "Thank You" spelled? Is it "Danka Shein"?

Respectfully, Your "Illiterate in more than one Language Moderator"

Scott SET
Posted By: Nick Re: Drop In Cieling - 04/13/02 04:02 AM
Scott & Scott,
I recently ran into this in Rancho Cucamonga. (A very tough jurisdiction for those who don’t know) As we all know we are still under the ’96 code out here. I don’t have a ’96 here with me but I believe it states (and we were required to do this) that the electrical support wires not be tied to the grid. The bottom just floats. Yes the ’99 now requires them to be attached.
© ECN Electrical Forums