ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by emolatur - 05/18/24 06:12 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 58 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#87556 03/17/04 10:05 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 178
Hey have I missed something. I put a 100a service on a barn/shop in a neighbooring county.Home owner had all permits of coarse. Well the service is back to back but I installed pvc between meter base and panel AJH tells home owner I must have 4 wire because of pvc.. to bond around the pvc pipe he provided no reference?I put a call in to him this am but haven`t recieved call back.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#87557 03/17/04 10:47 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 751
Nope, you haven't missed anything, I think. I am assuming that the meter can is bonded to the grounded conductor as allowed by 250.92(B)(1), and the main disconnect is in the barn, not outside. On the load side of the grounded conductor connection point required by 250.24(A)(1), 4 wires would be required.
Which do you have?

#87558 03/17/04 11:22 AM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,716
If I understand correctly the inspector is wrong. The Grounded Conductor and Equipment Grounding Conductor will be in parallel if you were to do as he suggest. This is unless you were to treat this "Service Equipment" as a "Sub Fed Panel" (which it is not) and isolate the "Grounded Conductor" and "Equipment Grounding Conductor" in the Service Equipment".

The proper way to do this is to install the factory bonding jumper in the panel and the Grounded Conductor would be all that is needed from poco transformer to this point.

The GEC connection can be in the meter (if allowed by Poco) or the Service Equipment. (panel)


#87559 03/17/04 02:31 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 849
Point of info. If it was SE cable would a ground wire be required, NO. So pvc NO

#87560 03/17/04 09:19 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 98
Two or more services supplied from a common service.
250.32 (B) (1) 4 wire

250.32 (b) (2) 3 wire

#87561 03/17/04 09:26 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,716
OreElect, welcome to the forum.

The first post (as worded) is describing an individual (stand alone) service for the structure.


#87562 03/18/04 09:17 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 178
Hey all is well. The real electrical inspector wasn`t avalible it was a stand in the works for the town he was confused about it being sub panel since the home already had a service. He didn`t see the meter can I guess...(lol)Had me worried You know kinda like you do something and all of a sudden there`s a new interpetation.Thanks for the help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5