ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#85613 07/22/03 09:42 AM
S
SAFTENG Offline OP
Can anyone provide me with any regualtory guidance on the use of drop cords in an industrial setting. I have a facility that has almost all of their equipment/machines running off of heavy duty electrical cords which hang down from the ceiling. They even have some cords that have outlet boxes attached to the ends for use in regular table-top appliances.

I come from the school that anything over 90 days is defined as "permanent" and is to be "hard-wired" in conduit with a disconnect means near-by. Their argument for this is, they are always moving equipment around for efficiency and thus use the cords.

Is this a violations of OSHA or NEC standards?

Bryan

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#85614 07/22/03 11:18 AM
D
I'm sure there are those who will argue this is a code violation and cite code sections.

However, this is a very common commercial/industrial practice because of the reasons you just gave...machinery moves around...equipment is in the middle of the floor (of a 20,000 s.f. room)...it is common to run conduit over the ceiling, use SO cord with a strain relief at each end and terminate in a box ([400-7(a)(1)]says pendants are allowed). A building I've worked on for over 10 yrs. has these in the warehouse and production areas - the inspector has never challenged the installation.

P.S. (re: Joe's comment) - I've only seen this approved when using boxes with a threaded entry (like the Killark FS boxes), no KO's.

[This message has been edited by dana1028 (edited 07-24-2003).]

#85615 07/22/03 12:55 PM
Here's the rule in the 2002 NEC that prohibits a box with knockouts to be used in the manner described. OSHA would also cite them because of their concern about open knockouts. This has been a long standing rule for a long time!

314.23(H) Pendant Boxes. An enclosure supported by a pendant shall comply with 314.23(H)(1) or (2).

(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#85616 07/23/03 05:51 AM
N
This is a common practice for those places that move equipment around periodicly. Another reason is vibration of the machines. If installed per code and with some sense about length of the cords, it is a safe practice. It does require the maintence people to inspect the cords and connectors frequently.

ed
#85617 07/23/03 07:30 PM
Gentlemen:
From the '99 NEC (the '02's in the truck)
400-7 Uses Permitted
6-7-8 are the only reasonable line items that could apply to the description above.

400-8 Uses not permitted
(1) is most often cited in my area.

There are AHJ's who enforce the "cord" issue for drops, and there are AHJ's who accept cord drops, if provided with strain reliefs, etc.

Cord drops have been a "normal" installation method for quite some time, and have been accepted and approved over the years.

The interpertation that I was told to enforce is "no cord drops"; refer to 400-7 and 400-8.

Personally, if a "cord drop" is installed properly, I see no safety problems.

The above is my personal opinion, and not an interpertation of the NEC.

John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 07-23-2003).]

John
#85618 07/23/03 09:46 PM
F
In industrial manufacturing buildings, such as one I recently wired, where the ceiling is 35', the building measures 460' x 500' and the support columns are 60' OC how else would you provide electrical service to machines and work stations on the floor if you didn't use pendant drops? If you used conduit what would you support it to? Besides, when it snows the roof flexes up to 8" between columns. Stub ups in the concrete floor would eventually encourage the use of extension cords as assembly lines and processes changed requiring the re-arranging of work areas and machinery. Cord drops are the safest way to go when properly installed.

#85619 07/25/03 02:50 PM
Fred:
I understand what you are saying, the intent of what you want a cord drop for, and the limited choices available, as I also am an EC. I have installed many cord drops over the years in industrial/comm applications.

When I have a job that requests cord drops, the first thing that I do is call the local AHJ, and get a determination ASAP. Some areas do not "catch" the cord drops on Plan Review, and it becomes a nightmare after the job starts.

THe AHJ that I referenced above has a "solution" that is NEC compliant in his opinion...
RGC and IMC are allowed to be used for "drops", unsupported for a length of xx'
('02 is in the truck again)
A suitable support at the roof decking, and a floor flange at the base. A "tee" fitting can be utilized to tap off a box, which requires support. His other acceptable method is aircraft cable for support of cable (MC or ??) with ty-wraps.

The above is an opinion of another AHJ, and the topic has been brought to the County Board of Appeals numerous times, and to date no contractor has succeded in overruling the drop cord ban.

Your points about stub outs and the extension cord useage is understood, and it is a common occurance in many locations around here.

I will invite the AHJ to visit this site again, and enter his opinions if he so desires.

John

John
#85620 07/25/03 06:40 PM
F
Does this AHJ have the same problem with buss drop?
What the heck, just go back to an overhead steam driven power shaft and let everybody belt up.

#85621 07/25/03 08:40 PM
E
[Linked Image] LOL [Linked Image]

Al Hildenbrand
#85622 07/26/03 12:26 PM
S
Well we have cord drops in our facility. Not sure that I really like them, but they are useful. For one thing helps for lock out tab out. The one problem with them is when the equipment gets moved a few feet. Then you have a crooked cord hanging down. One of my pet peeves. One of the first things that I did when I started was to buy some string and tied a 1/2" nut on the end of it. Boys, here is you plumb bob, use it!

However if a drop is going to have an outlet box on the end of it we hard plumb it and attatch the box to a uni-strut stand.

BTW, we have had many OSHA inspections. We used to call them in voluntarily. The only comment about the drops was to make sure they have a strain releif attached at the ceiling.

Oh yeah, being in CA we do have earthquakes here and they help if the machines should walk during an earthquake.
Scott

Link Copied to Clipboard