ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#83905 02/24/03 01:41 PM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Who has a data base for ROP's for all previous NFPA 70 codes, as well as the rationale for the rules in the prior Standard of the National Board of Fire Underwriters for Electric Wiring and Apparatus?
What does it take to have access to such data bases?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#83906 02/24/03 10:23 PM
The NFPA will permit association members to download the 1996 and 1999 ROP and ROC files and they currently they have posted the 2005 Proposals only.

They will also post the committee actions when the voting process is completed. See the schedule at the rear of the code to get some idea of the dates.

Earlier Preprints, TCR's and TCD's are not available, to my knowledge, electronically.

I have most of the information you are looking for as far back as 1950.

Prior to the 1981 there was no comment period, and the committees met to go over the proposals and acted to accept or reject the proposal.

The NEC Correlating early on used to burn the midnight oil and, in the morning we had the new edition of the code.

The NYBFU never did have the reports on a data base and if you should find that they do at the present time let us know.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#83907 02/24/03 11:18 PM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Well, do you have info about how the 3' rule was established (for "securely fastening" EMT, and PVC, and "securing" RMC)? My code book library is missing 65 and 68, and somewhere in there the EMT rule came into play (I certainly didn't see it in the 59 or 62 BFU standards). A question in another thread prompted this bit of curiosity.
I was thinking that they might have come up with 3' because it would be a stiff enough attachment to take some normal amount of abuse and bending without pulling out of the connector enough to lose an equipment ground path, but then again, that doesn't make sense if the same measurement is used for PVC and RMC. Does your info get that detailed?
While I'm on the subject, do you know if the BFU standards were ever considered an adopted legal document, such that it would possibly be included in some older, long established, law libraries?

Added during editing...
Forgot to mention: I DO have the electronic downloads of ROP's and ROC's, for the past two cycles (and without having membership, though I suppose that is changing by now).

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 02-24-2003).]

Link Copied to Clipboard