ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by HotLine1 - 05/14/24 03:41 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 193 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#83294 01/27/03 05:34 PM
I
sparky66wv,

I know I do not take it as a flame, if we all had the same opinion this would be a pretty boring place. I come here to learn and hear others opinions.

You can never know it all in our trade.
Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#83295 01/27/03 06:08 PM
C
(rant mode on high)

I did a 'little' research, and I would like to know what the manufacturers have to say about what Virgil says about these afci breakers not detecting series arcs. None of the manufacturer literature says anything about the types of arcs, just that they detect (some of) them.

Looking at the ROP's also leads me to believe that they only protect whats in the walls and not the dog chewed, walked on, crimped, wornout zip-cord that is in a lot of homes. Are they saying that we as electricians cannot install a branch circuit with enough integrity not to fail, but anything that the homeowner puts in is OK?

Why the reluctance to approve afci receptacles? I firmly believe in safety at (almost) any cost, but this seems like an issue pushed to the forefront for the wrong reason.

What about some of these older breakers (no names) that you can weld with, aluminum wire improperly installed, two wire systems, very old wire that should have been replaced years ago, but some handyman taped it up "good as new".

If the afci breakers only protect new installations with Code approved methods and materials, then I think of it as a bandaid on a severed limb approach to safety.

I have nothing against the technology of afci's nor their use, if they protect against fire producing electrical arcs. But, I don't think they are yet up to the task that they are marketed to perform.

Sorry.

#83296 01/27/03 06:20 PM
S
2003 ROP's are here pseudonym, sorry about that.

Don,
understood.
whatever rationale they purse should be interesting.
Your ROP is very concise, and hopefully will be met likewise.

cubby964,
frustrating isn't it ?
Myself i peddaled many under false pretenses, and was quite upset at being had by 210.12
Many still are unaware.....
My view of the entire NEC process also changed that very day.

and i'm far from alone.

#83297 01/27/03 07:28 PM
R
The AFCIs do in a way protect from high resistance "glowing connections" or seires arcs. They provide protection from these types of events only if the fault becomes a "parallel arcing fault" or if it becomes a ground fault. If it becomes a ground fault the GFP part of the AFCI will open the circuit.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#83298 01/27/03 08:00 PM
S
yes they do Don,
however they fall short of the 'Crimestopper' expectations the marketing implies.

#83299 01/27/03 08:22 PM
Yes, Don, as with this thread , I have willingly installed them where I felt the GFP and parallel protection would offer some peace of mind.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 01-29-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#83300 01/27/03 08:44 PM
S
I had offered AFCI'S as a quick fix for K&T circuits for a while......

#83301 01/28/03 12:47 PM
R
Ok, I admit I haven't read this entire thread but I'm just sick of industry creating the problem and then selling the solution.

I'd like to announce that I'm developing a patent on an arc fault interruptor switch with a built in GFCI protector. It's mine I tel you...all mine. And I'm going to make it a requirment that all switches everywhere will be of this type.....my type...

I'll be rich and the world will be a safer place.

I'm also thinking of making a little device that plugs into a GFCI and once per month a little finger pops out of it and pushes the test button..... It then automatically pushes the reset button. If neither operations function properly it will automatically burn your house down. The last part may need changing....

RSlater,
RSmike

#83302 01/28/03 02:16 PM
N
More random ramblings - if ACFIs are such a good solution, why only require them in bedrooms? If they are aimed at catching pinched or nicked wires that cause parallel arcs, why require them on smokes or light fixtures?

/mike

#83303 01/28/03 04:24 PM
S
n1sit,

AFCI's were introduced to protect the branch circuit, the efficy declining beyond the device.

I believe the listing(s) follow suit.

many hold thier wiring methods as being confronted when they learn this.

which is why it isn't exactly front page news in trade mags.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-28-2003).]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard