ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#83044 01/04/03 11:11 AM
G
I'm a little hazy about 250.32. When you run a feeders to a 1oo amp panel for a barn or whatever from the panel in the house. Do I stil have to drive a ground rod at the barn even though I have run 2 hot,neutral and ground and seperate neu. and ground in the 100a panel? I have had ahj's tell me yes and no on the ground rod. Russell

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#83045 01/04/03 11:41 AM
R
all second buildings that are fed by a feeder require that a grounding electrode be installed at the second building. See 250.32(A).
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#83046 01/04/03 01:45 PM
Tom Offline
Actually, you'll probably need 2 ground rods to be in compliance. Unless you've got one of those high dollar testers & live in an area where you can actually get 25 ohms or less with one rod.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#83047 01/04/03 04:13 PM
G
Thanks guys. I suspected that. We don't have ahj in this or next county over. The ones I have dealt with are not consistent about yes or no.Now I know.Definitly 2 ground rods.

#83048 01/05/03 07:12 AM
Broom Pusher and
Just wanted to make sure you were clear to this requirement, and attempt to add a bit to the other posts (which are very much to the point!).

Any "Remote" structure (A structure which is independent, or physically separate from another structure) is required to have it's own local Grounding Electrode System (AKA "GES" at ECN... how about those TLAs??? 'Three Letter Acronyms'...).

For a simple GES, driven rods work fine. Other types of Electrode Systems include encased electrodes, plates, combinations of encased electrodes and driven rods, underground metallic water pipes (yuck!), deep earth rods, water wells with metallic tubing extending deep into the water table (great deep earth electrode!) and such.
I like the idea of combining UFER electrodes with a water well for a nice GES!, but that's another story,,,ahhhm,,, thread!

If the building is made of exposed metal, or if there's a considerable amount of exposed metal which may become energized, bond this to the local GES.
Local GES refers to the GES for that building.

Bond the GES for the remote building to the GES / GEC for the service which feeds it.

For a "Subfeeder" which includes an Equipment Grounding Conductor, bond the EGC to the remote building's GES, to the Subpanel / Subfeeder conduit (if metallic), and land it to the location where the Grounded Conductor and all the EGCs + GEC bond together at the main service.

As to a Subfeeder run without an EGC, this is kind of a "No-Brainer" [Linked Image]

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#83049 01/05/03 11:14 AM
G
Thanks Scott, All the municipal water systems here are pvc as are most well casings. An uffer is usually the best choice for us. Thanks for the help everyone!

Link Copied to Clipboard