ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
joe20, CTwireman,
I haven't the permission to fix anything, yet. I was there to install a transfer switch and cord to a generator. The pix were taken before I started, so now the lines and loads of the transfer switch unit are crowding the panel.

sparky, yup, you know it! Rock and a hard place, indeed! But there's more to this story... (in a minute)

Redsy, LOL! Well, he obviously had the knowledge to flag himself, he was the first IAEI certified inspector for electrical services required by the PoCo in this area.

Tom, you nailed it! This 200A 4 wire feeder comes from a disconnect that is paired with another panel and disconnect to a 320A meterbase. The EGC and Neutral need to be seperated here, and everything on the service end of thigs in pic #1 is OK except he (they) neglected to remove the bonding bar between the busses. Then, in turn, someone made up all the EGCs and neutrals in the branch circuits with disregard to which bus they were on.

The bus bonding-bar needs removed and the EGCs need to go on the left and noodles on the right.

Everyone,
To better my arguments to have this (pic #1) corrected, what safety issues are compromised here?

Pearlfish, Chris is correct, this is a standard GE 200A 2 Pole Main CB. The individual breakers are really 100A, but two parallel per side for 200A per leg. Look closer at the bus feed below the Main CB.

John (Hotline1), Certified IAEI... The same one that likes to retorque my terminals.

(Things are looking up, I'll elaborate in another post...)

ElectricmanScott, Actually, this may have some interesting financial incentives...

NJWirenut, yes there is a white stripe (not visible in pic) but I generally add tape anyway, just to be sure.

Everyone, Thanks for all the input.

The lawyer had called me in for work at his office, and then for the transfer switch. He had some recepts that didn't work (GFCI tripped) and another that didn't work that I ended up disconnecting on the load side (nail in cable?). Plus, the a ceiling fan cable must have been pierced because the light doesn't work, but the fan does.

To make a long story short, even after explaning (to a lawyer, no less!) that this house was new enough to still be under warranty, and all of this should be fixed free of charge, he looked me in the eye and said he'd rather pay me to fix it than have the "inspector" come back.

Wow!

Opinions and comments?

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-11-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
The EGC and Neutral need to be seperated here, and everything on the service end of thigs in pic #1 is OK except he (they) neglected to remove the bonding bar between the busses. Then, in turn, someone made up all the EGCs and neutrals in the branch circuits with disregard to which bus they were on.

Oh, so this is a subpanel we are looking at?

Is there no end to the madness???

Peter
Z
Seems to me the green wire isn't a problem, it's just the grounding conductor that goes to the water pipe/grounding rods for the panel, the neutral just isn't re-identified, i don't see a white stripe, just the lettering identifying the cable type.

I don't understand the 4 breakers, it looks like they wouldn't trip because the load is flowing through two instead of one, also you could potentially turn off only one leg of service here. It's pretty odd, what kind of panel is this anyways??

E
Did someone say "Financial incentives".....

G
Gwz Offline
Those four breakers are 2 -100A breakers on each leg. (ie. 200A main disconnect) They are tested as such by a NRTL organization.

This "doubeling-up" is not to be done in the field.

As for the NEUTRAL vs the EGC bus it is the same bus as can be seen at the bottom end(s) of the bus being tied together.

H
Sparky,

OWW! Putting inspectors in the same class as lawyers. GESH! I wouldn't want to get down to their level. [Linked Image] As GWZ said, those main breakers are allowed. Also Cut-Ham type BR breakers might be allowed for that panel. One thing that I see, is there a disconnect (lockable?) for that well pump? I see they don't believe in strapping the wires running to the well either.

Harold

S
66wv
he looked me in the eye and said he'd rather pay me to fix it than have the "inspector" come back.

This shows that he trusts you and would rather get it done right. I am assuming since he is a lawyer that he can afford to get it done right and not spend extra money on nickel and dime stuff that would probabaly equal or exceed your costs.

I learned a long time ago that it is often time to cut the cord with someone with bad performance. Sure you can fight them and they will eventually perform at an adequate standard. But it is better to pay for good working practices then fight someone for adequate practices.
Scott

Peter, Yup, sorry I didn't clarify before, I thought the 4-wire would give that way...

Is there no end to the madness???

To answer a rhetorical question: Yes, there is no end to the madness (yes, we have no bananas?). [Linked Image]

Zack, yes, Gwz is correct, the "bus bar" connects the two, but can't be removed until (half) the branch circuit EGCs and noodles are put onto the proper busses.

Harold, no well-pump disco.

Loverly, ain't it!

[Linked Image]

Scotts, Electricmanscott,

Seems to be what's happening! And this guy is very influentual, and I may even get some good referrals from him! (Hopefully) He owns an entire side of a block in downtown Lewisburg, rents it all out as offices. He may have even more real estate. Impressing this guy can only bring good things!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-11-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Two tight shots of the panel to help clarify some Q's:

[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

<edited to number the pix>

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-12-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Question:

In pix 2 through 9, how does one get past ducts and return air spaces and still comply with 334.15(C)?

Running boards as per 334.15(A)?

In pic #4, the diagonal cut, can one place running boards at angles to the framing members (saving rerouting the cable)?

I tend to think that a drop ceiling is/was possibly planned... that would help some of this make a little more sense, like the extra cable on the lights (no Jct box with 6' BX whip?)...

Would a drop ceiling make the NM Cable OK as is? (Becomes a "finished" ceiling...)

Thanks in advance,

-Virgil

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-12-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard