ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Recently a freind of mine had some outlets added to her home. The elctrician hooked the outlets to the heating panel under the house is this code compliant?One tripped and I crawled under to find it. after pulling all the rec. out of the wall and finding nothing wrong.No breakers tripped I figured bad connection under house thats when I found tripped breaker in the heating panel
Thanks.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
Are you saying the heating panel is a sub-panel of the main panel, and it is in a "crawl space"? Violation of several parts of Art. 110-26, if I were the inspector. And there may be other violations as well.

R
Yes the panel is located under the house right beside the heating unit.Its a sub panel and has 4 wire se cable feeding it.

Tom Offline
Warren,

What part(s) of 110-26 is being violated? I don't think there is enough info here to say for sure.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
T
No it is not "good practice" but as you can see from the code section copied below it is code compliant.
--
Tom

110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.
Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electric equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment. Enclosures housing electrical apparatus that are controlled by lock and key shall be considered accessible to qualified persons.
(E) Headroom. The minimum headroom of working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers shall be 2.0 m (6½ ft). Where the electrical equipment exceeds 2.0 m (6½ ft) in height, the minimum headroom shall not be less than the height of the equipment.
Exception: In existing dwelling units, service equipment or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall be permitted in spaces where the headroom is less than 2.0 m (61/2 ft).

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
G
Was the heating panel added to an existing dwelling or was the heating panel part of the original construction?

R
This was an existing service panel installed when the home was built. 100amp .
Hey Tom if I`m reading it right on your post above You can add a sub panel in a crawl space? Not that I would, but didn`t think it would be allowed.Seems like the home owner would be really to have crwl under and shut down a breaker.And Tom thanks for always posting the code articals it has really helped me learn and do a better job

Tom Offline
Yes, you could install a sub-panel in a crawlspace & Glenn is on the right track.

The reason I said there wsn't enough information to determine if this is a code violation is we don't know when the panel was installed. Installed in new construction = violation, added after construction it is a real poor installation, but in compliance with the (lack of) headroom requirement.

Tom O

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard