ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#79376 01/11/02 10:34 PM
I have recently gotten a response from NFPA on this;

Question to NFPA;
I was wondering if you could please help with something that has recently come up.
It basically has to do with how Exceptions are interpreted in the NEC (both 1999 and 2002) as far as which rule (or part of a rule) they apply to.
Example;

xxx-xx(x)Occupancy Type; Here is some Rule that shall be followed in the Locations specified below.

(1)Location 1
(2)Location 2

Exception No. 1.........
Exception No. 2..........

Are the exceptions meant to apply to both locations (1) and (2) or only the one (2) that it follows?
The NEC Style Manual seems to say the Exceptions are to the Rule above it (and the List items are only part of the Rule)
Answer:
Bill:

My apologies for the delay in responding: (a) it got lost in the Holiday and year-end craziness, and (b) I had to research the answer.

The answer is: the exception(s) are to the item directly above only, whether that is a rule or a sub-part of a rule. In your example, both exceptions are to (2) only. In reviewing the 2002 Code for errata, we found another interesting one: it looked like your example, except there was a subhead (3). The exception was printed under (3), but belonged under (2). However, we feared that moving it there might make people think it applied to both (1) and (2) but not (3). So we added a few words, as in "Exception No. 1 to item (2) only..."

Chuck Durang
Product Manager, Electrical
NFPA

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79377 01/14/02 02:34 AM
Does anyone know when the Errata comes out?

I'm interested to see if any of our examples were modified or clarified.

Bill

Bill
#79378 01/14/02 07:14 AM
Bill:

I expect to see the 2002 NEC errata sometime in the next two weeks, and it will be available on the NFPA Web Page.

I believe that the answer I gave above was correct, and was supported by the reply you received.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#79379 01/14/02 11:02 AM
Joe,

Yes, I believe that your (and Don's) response to the original example is supported by the NFPA response.

I was thinking of the other examples that came up later on such as the placement or wording of the exception following 210.8(B)(3)

and 210.8(A)(4)crawlspaces seems to have lost it's exception somewhere along the way.

Bill

Bill
#79380 01/15/02 02:27 PM
E
Bill, Thank you very much for your follow-up on this question. I also want to state that I'm impressed with the form and clarity of your query to NFPA. Well Done!

#79381 01/29/02 09:31 PM
From the 2002 Errata;

4. Page 70-53 210.8(B) Exception: After “Exception”, insert “to (2)”.
This provides some clarification to snow-melting equipment being related to rooftops rather than kitchens [Linked Image] It is curious that it wasn't moved. The meaning of this section is clear now but the format doesn't seem consistant.

Bill

Bill
#79382 01/30/02 01:18 PM
B
The code book is a classic example of folks looking at the detailed data too much for too long.

In my first contract situation there was a huge error found only after the contract was signed and we had to finish developing the billing module in the software and it came to light that the agreement was priced incorrectly. "We" had agreed to price equipment at a much lower'drop ship' price for installed equipment which included a 1-year warranty rather than having it priced in a 2-tier structure with a reasonable mark up for installed/warranteed equipment. The two distinctions showed up in all the verbage throughout the contract except in the pricing. [Linked Image]

The Director was livid as this was discovered months after work had begun. In his rage he said that uninformed, uninvolved people could've detected the discrepancy better than the 'red team review' had simply because they would've questioned the 'hanging' nature of the 2nd tier mentioned so frequently throughout. To make a long story longer, [Linked Image] I have no idea what it cost the company (a BIG company that no longer exists) but I can say it probably cost someone their job!

Perhaps the NEC folks could hire the proofing out to catch some of the 'readability' issues.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard