ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 401 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
25' must've been West Virginia Power's Customer Requirement.

AP's "Back to Back" is a little subjective, I've seen too many instances in new work that stretched this rule, and depending on the AHJ it may pass or it may not...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
IN OHIO YOU ARE ALLOWED 3' IN A DWELLING LONGER THAN THAT AND YOU NEED A DISC.

S
The utility usually detemines how much
'non-OCPD'ed' is available to the occupants.
We all are aware here, that a meter could be set, and seu could be literally wrapped around the building, and subject to the utilities rule on entrance.

The rationale, besides theft of service, that i was taught was that a responding emergency crew ( Firefighter, etc.) would be aware of the Main Disco's location.

Recently, a cul-de-sac development with meter banks has shown me direct UG entry , you need to shut the whole nieghborhood down, there is no external indication of the disco's presence.

pardon my digression...
[Linked Image]

My vote goes with Don & Redsy. 230-70(a).

B
Are we talking SER or SEU cable, the SER is a feeder cable and I have run it 35 feet and the inspector never said a word. If we are talking the Service Entrance cable, SEU then that is to be landed to the closes point to the building entrance, where it comes into the building. but the feeder is protected, hence the leaway.

K
here in our area (sc)the '99' code was just adopted in july of this year. ahj had a 10' rule and that was max length of cable not straight line distance. now, if the meter base and the panel arn't back to back then a meter/bkr combo is required. the bkr panel can be mlo. what amazes me is there is only a $10 difference between a mlo and a mb panel. try to purchase a 4 pole 200 amp breaker for $10. ken m

S
Chicago is 5' and many of the burbs use the Chicago standard as a rule of thumb.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard