ECN Forum
Posted By: Nightwizard Code question on service entrance cable - 10/18/01 10:15 PM
Is there any section in the NEC that gives a measurement for when your entering a single family dwelling as to when you would have to put a disconnect other that a main breaker and run SER cable to the panel. If so could u direct me to the article #.

Thanks
Posted By: sparky Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/18/01 11:22 PM
Welcome Nightwizard!
check out 384-16
[Linked Image]
I'm completely flustered now... Trying to find the "25 foot rule" to no avail...

Grrrrr....

I can see it plain as day in my head... "if service entrance cable exceeds 25' a disconnect is required.." or something to that effect...

D***ed if I can find it...

And I want to be an inspector? Yeah, right!...

In my defense, Allegheny Power wants a disco for anything not "back to back" so I haven't had a chance to use this exception to my advantage...

I thought Steve beat me to it, but it ain't there either...

I'm imagining code again aren't I?!?!?! [Linked Image]
There is no specific distance in the code. See 230-70(a).
Don(resqcapt19)
Not in the '96 either... OK time to go with the nice people in the nice white coats, take my nice meds and go to the nice rubber room...

(driving me nuts)

If I had the money, I would offer a large sum of it to the person who finds how I got such a rule in my head?!?!?!?!!?!?

I hate it when I know the answer but can't find it, only to find out that it never existed!!!!!

(sigh)
Okey-dokey

Bubububububbububububububububububububb
(burbling my lips)

Looks like I need to forget everything that Hixson taught me...

Wow.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/19/01 01:13 AM
Virgil:

If it'll make you feel any better, we have a 2 meter / 6 foot specification here for meter-to-panel cables.

Then again, that probably won't make you feel any better at all.....
Posted By: Redsy Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/19/01 01:46 AM
230-70(a)--- "nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors"

I say if it's further than 6', check with AHJ.
Posted By: tdhorne Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/19/01 01:41 PM
Some inspectors take the nearest rule to extremes. An inspector once gave me grief when I went in the bottom of a basement mounted panel instead of the top. I like to try to keep the service entry conductors and the branch circuit conductors separated. If they were available here I would use Canadian style service entry equipment that has a separate dead front for the supply conductors and their termination. I guess I just don't like the idea of of the home owner working in the same compartment as the service conductors.
Posted By: Fred Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/19/01 08:26 PM
In my area the utilities and the AHJ agreed on 6' a long time ago. In Indianapolis, it's up to 10' if the service entrance conductors are in an unbroken joint of galv rigid.
25' must've been West Virginia Power's Customer Requirement.

AP's "Back to Back" is a little subjective, I've seen too many instances in new work that stretched this rule, and depending on the AHJ it may pass or it may not...
Posted By: johnd24 Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/20/01 10:50 PM
IN OHIO YOU ARE ALLOWED 3' IN A DWELLING LONGER THAN THAT AND YOU NEED A DISC.
Posted By: sparky Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/21/01 10:21 PM
The utility usually detemines how much
'non-OCPD'ed' is available to the occupants.
We all are aware here, that a meter could be set, and seu could be literally wrapped around the building, and subject to the utilities rule on entrance.

The rationale, besides theft of service, that i was taught was that a responding emergency crew ( Firefighter, etc.) would be aware of the Main Disco's location.

Recently, a cul-de-sac development with meter banks has shown me direct UG entry , you need to shut the whole nieghborhood down, there is no external indication of the disco's presence.

pardon my digression...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/22/01 01:22 AM
My vote goes with Don & Redsy. 230-70(a).
Posted By: bordew Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/24/01 11:17 PM
Are we talking SER or SEU cable, the SER is a feeder cable and I have run it 35 feet and the inspector never said a word. If we are talking the Service Entrance cable, SEU then that is to be landed to the closes point to the building entrance, where it comes into the building. but the feeder is protected, hence the leaway.
Posted By: ken m Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/25/01 11:45 AM
here in our area (sc)the '99' code was just adopted in july of this year. ahj had a 10' rule and that was max length of cable not straight line distance. now, if the meter base and the panel arn't back to back then a meter/bkr combo is required. the bkr panel can be mlo. what amazes me is there is only a $10 difference between a mlo and a mb panel. try to purchase a 4 pole 200 amp breaker for $10. ken m
Posted By: Steve T Re: Code question on service entrance cable - 10/25/01 11:12 PM
Chicago is 5' and many of the burbs use the Chicago standard as a rule of thumb.
© ECN Electrical Forums