ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#77812 07/13/01 02:33 AM
John,

I wouldn't recommend replacing the cable. I don't see how you can keep water out unless there is some provision there where you can put in some potting compound to seal things up again. That would depend on the type of pump you've got. How big is this pond?

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#77813 07/13/01 03:24 AM
P
Does anyone know if a pond is considered a decorative fountain? I don't have a code book but I think 10 foot is the maximum exposed cord length allowed on submerged equipment in a fountain (680-51)and cords must be permanently attached rather than run to a dry location and plugged in (680-56). A potted submersible junction box may be one option.

Phil H

#77814 07/13/01 08:04 AM
J
johnd24 Offline OP
The pond is probably 80 + 100 feet.the punp is being put in the middle of pond to circulate the water.It will have a fountain type hose on it.I plan on getting 14/3 sjtw cord and put it in pvc from my gfi to the bank of the pond ,and then lay it on the bottom of the pond till i got to the pump.The pecker head has a rubber gasket on it ,and the motor it self is sealed,i plan on using marine grade sealer to seal pecker head.

#77815 07/13/01 08:14 AM
J
johnd24 Offline OP
Im ready to bail from this job i already told the home owner that it could leak and that im not going to buy a new pump when this qiuts working.He purchased a heavy duty sump pump and thinks its going to be submerged like a well pump.Its theses little no brainers that give me ulcers when dealing with homeowners. he he

#77816 07/13/01 08:29 AM
John,

You have had me scratching my head here because you started off sayng that it was a small pond. Not your fault, I was picturing a small goldfish pond that someone puts in a plastic insert in the ground and fills with water. [Linked Image]

2 things, is a sump pump even made to be submerged? They're supposed to pump well before it gets submerged.

The other thing, why not a fountain? Many Condominium complexes and golf Courses etc I've seen have floating fountains in them. The pumps are made so that a cord of any length can be attached and then the connections get sealed by pouring in some plastic resin or such. That sounds like what you need. If they don't want a fountain maybe you can let it hang down from an innertube so that it is below the surface but not touching bottom. and make sure that it has an adequate screen to keep out debris.
It would still be floating and could be easily pulled to shore for service.

Bill

Bill
#77817 07/13/01 09:14 AM
I
Some sump pumps are submersible. But I imagine that the intended depth is only three feet or so. I've seen them with a battery-powered backup pump sitting on top of them.

We had some electrical safetly training for the labs here at work. The instructor claimed that the number two cause of electrocutions at home was sump pumps. (Number one was conductive ladders.)

#77818 07/13/01 11:28 AM
M
I wouldn't alter any factory wiring arrangement at the pump. I agree with Dspark that installing a GFCI receptacle adjacent to the pond is the right thing to do. Makes sense because the cord is only eight feet long. Could the pump sit close to the edge of the pond and then run a longer hose to the fountain? Some of the ponds I've seen have a pump box installed at one end of the pond and a tube, hose, etc., routed to the other end.

#77819 07/13/01 05:25 PM
J
johnd24 Offline OP
WOW....thanks guys...After thinking about this for a day i think im going to recomened that he come up with a differant kind of pump that either floats or is made to be totally submerged.He bought this at a plumbing house and they told him it could be totatly submerged.I disagree.There has got to be something out there made just for this function and i think ill put the gfci in for him and let him shop for it.

#77820 07/16/01 04:13 PM
W
I agree with Mike, put in a land based pump and a long hose. Another alternative would be a deep well pump, the kind that goes all the way to the bottom of the well. But I have never seen one, so no help from me on that way. That may also be too expensive for this application.
Hope your customer find a good pump for this application without endangering people around the pond.

#77821 07/17/01 05:15 PM
J
johnd24 Offline OP
well thanks guys,,,job is done found water resistant 14/3 cord installed it on a switch and gfi tested it ,runs fine and no leaks .whewwwww thanks guys

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard