ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
see 422-13

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-18-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Virgil, ('66)

I'm still standing where I was, concerned about the heavy load being put on shared 15A circuits by these 1850w Hair Dryers. I was told by a UL rep that they are figured at 125v (which is 14.8 amps). I still don't understand why they don't need a 20A plug if they are over 12 A.

My opinion is that the plugs on a 1850w hairdryer should be 20 amps period. Anyone not having a 20A receptacle should buy the 1500w or less models. If they choose to change the receptacle without upgrading the circuit then they are masters of their own destiny, no worse off than before, but you cannot make everything idiot-proof. I think that many would then realize that these are something to pay attention to. And, if they had a new 20A circuit in the bathroom with a 20A receptacle they would be more likely to use these higher wattage hairdriers on the circuits that were installed for them, not on the bedroom 15A circuits. But maybe that's another reason for the new AFCI rule.

The average person (I think) is of the opinion that someone, somewhere is watching out for them and if it's got a normal plug on it "it's just regular 110" They know nothing of ohms law or that their little hairdryer uses twice the power of their big refrigerator. Sorry to go on, but it's something that bugs me.

Bill

Bill
Thanks, Bill...

I guess the NEC doesn't back us up, though, hunh!?!

[Linked Image]

(Sometimes the legal double-talk really throws me...)

The average person (I think) is of the opinion that someone, somewhere is watching out for them and if it's got a normal plug on it "it's just regular 110"

You are so right... I can remember actually thinking that myself at one time! (Probably while running the blowdryer for three hours...)

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-31-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>A branch circuit supplying a fixed storage-type water heater
Anyone have an idea why should a demand-type water heater not be included?
They are certainly under 120 G.

B
To Everyone:
I agree these units are really pushing the envelope, the scary part I have seen bathrooms with 2 of these hair-fryers er dryers.
someone mentioned the 125 % rule, but these are not considered continuous loads, so I guess thats how they get away with it.
And finally in another post didnt someone just install AFCIs in somebodys house and the hair-fryer tripped the AFCI ? I wonder if we are not gonna wind up chasing our tail with these new items.

S
My Q is , who's calling the shots? the NEC or the manufacturer's

S
On further thought,
How many of you have had service calls concerning modern kitchen equipment , i.e.- megatoasters, microwaves ???

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard