ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#75851 03/14/07 08:09 PM
E
e57 Offline
Highground, throw all referance to the job, and GC into the rectangular file - or mark up the bid 1000%.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#75852 03/14/07 08:51 PM
S
I'm not sure how that indicates a code violation or damage to wiring, but EMF levels above 4mG are suspected to cause leukemia.
Steve, do you have any evidence of that? What I remember is that there was a huge study in, IIRC, Sweden, that compared proximity to power lines with a large number of maladies, and this study showed a slight elevation in leukemia. HOWEVER... When you are measuring as many things as they measured, you will, by random chance, get some things that show up above average, and some that show up below average. That was the conclusion about what happened in that case--there was a rather small number of leukemia cases, and by random chance there was a slight clustering around power lines. When researchers went looking for this in other locations, they found no correlaton between power lines and leukemia in other places.

That doesn't stop the alarmists from proclaiming that it has been proven that power lines cause leukemia, and shouldn't be built.

This is from a while back. Perhaps you have more up-to-date information than I do?

#75853 03/15/07 05:55 AM
S
All I know is what I gathered from a quick google search. I'm sure there are conflicting studies out there.

#75854 03/15/07 08:14 AM
G
This sounds like they wrote a loophole into the spec so that they can get away without paying you, even if you try a lien or court case.

RUN AWAY !!!!!!

Ghost307
#75855 03/15/07 09:13 AM
I
ITO Offline
You could always bid the job and exclude this test from your scope.

101° Rx = + /_\
#75856 03/15/07 09:49 PM
H
Some of the other interesting specs include:

There is to be an exhaust fan in the garage that runs for twenty minutes after the the garage door opens or closes.

And there are to be switches outside each bedroom to kill the power to the entire bedroom before they retire for the evening. Besides the smoke detectors, does anybody see any code problems with that one?

Thanks
highground

#75857 03/15/07 10:09 PM
I see a problem with the alarm clock, and running out into the hall naked to turn the lights on, but there's no Code against silliness. laugh

#75858 03/15/07 11:33 PM

And there are to be switches outside each bedroom to kill the power to the entire bedroom before they retire for the evening.
I had a friend that wanted something similar to this when he wanted to keep his kids off the video games and such while grounded... He also wanted keyed switches laugh

#75859 03/15/07 11:39 PM
S
Some of the other interesting specs include:

And there are to be switches outside each bedroom to kill the power to the entire bedroom before they retire for the evening.
That sounds like someone who is far enough off the deep end that I wouldn't want to do business with them. (The term "paranoid schizophrenic" comes to mind, but there is nowhere near enough information here to make a reasonable determination.)

#75860 03/16/07 06:05 AM
E
e57 Offline
Seems I had job like this for a short time for the 'tin foil hat' set. (EMF-a-phobes) We only did the foundation work, by which time the GC and subsequently the company I worked for were released from contract. These people wanted all cabling routed away from sleeping areas yet still wanted bed-side outlets for the cordless phone, cell phone charger and what have you.

People like that have been reading too many poorly written articles by people with 'greener than thou' political agendas who regurgitate data that they either have little understanding of, or just made up entirely. And there seems to be an epidemic of it in certain circles of people... Whats worse is that you can't seem to debunk the crap they have been fed without seeming anti-green. At which point they dont trust anything you have to say anyway. But that could be an advantage if you feel unscrupulous. I was on another job recently where there was a lot of talk about the required (Contractualy) use of recycled lumber. The entire job used no dimensional lumber at all. (*except all the concrete forms... wink ) They used all engineered lumber through-out the building under the guise that it contained 'some' recycled wood. Little do they know that they grind entire trees that they wouldn't cut anyway due to visual, staightness or other defects for the other 98%. But to them it contains some recycled wood, and they are willing to pay top dollar for that green grin in the end.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard