ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
In NJ, as a muni AHJ, you cannot work within that muni, nor any adjoining muni that 'touches' your muni of employement.

As to being a weekend warrior....don't forget the REQUIRED insurance costs.

John

John
Cat Servant
Electric work, like any trade, is in some ways a young mans' game. Lets face it- at 50 you're not racing up ladders, wriggling through attics, or swinging that shovel with anything near the enthusiasm you had when you were 20.

Think back to when you were 20 ... what did you expect from an inspector? After all those years in the trade, and running your own business, you are likely just now meeting the qualifications you just felt, back then, an inspector ought to have.

Age. Experience. Judgment. Knowledge of jobs, and customers. People skills.

Now for the hard part: ethics. If you continue to work the trade, you risk losing the respect of your public. "Conflict of Interest" and "Competition" come to mind.

So, where do old electricians go? Some just might retire to a tropical isle ... but I suspect that most make a move to a 'related' area. Industrial electrician. Preparing bids / quotes. Project management. Inspections.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
renosteinke,
well said.. will continue too check out this elec inspec job.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
D
I am 44 yrs old and have been a county electrical inspector for 9yrs now. I do so much crawling around on my knees in crawl spaces and climbing ladders that I really feel for the older inspectors out there.
I grew up in a family owned electrical business, and know what the long hours of contracting is, and the pain of not having someone pay.
I'll take the inspection job, and benefits. My body still gets tired,but nothing like it was when I was in the feild. So I still salute you all that are still in the feild working.

Reno:
Well said....we don't die...we move on to other things.

John

John
I'm an Inspector here in NZ and unless it is any better than it is here, don't bother.
There will be no real extra money and more responsibility.
Maybe I'm just jaded. [Linked Image]

This was an actual question from the bank of questions in the Inspectors Exam here in 2001, I swear I am not making this up, it goes like this(changed for International differences):
Little Johnny has a tree-house, he asks his father if he can put a light in it, his father says OK, Johnny staples Romex to the tree and staples the Romex to the ground to a socket-outlet provided for a caravan (16A 1phase +Neutral and Earth), Dad says it looks OK and turns the power on.
Later on that night the tree catches fire.
Who is to blame?.
Is it:
  • A- Little Johnny for wiring the thing up wrong?.
  • B- Johnny's Father for not supervising him as the wiring was done?.
  • C- The wire for carrying too much current for what Johnny had in mind?.
  • D- The tree for being there in the first place.
  • E- The inspector that was never called?.

Work the right answer out for yourselves. [Linked Image]

Trumpy:
"staples the Romex to the ground to a socket-outlet provided for a caravan (16A 1phase +Neutral and Earth), Dad says it looks OK and turns the power on.
Later on that night the tree catches fire.
Who is to blame?."

If I translate he connected the new branch circuit to an existing recreational (caravan) vehicle power source?? sound good?

Based on the translation....I take "A" & "B"

John

John
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Well, didn't get the inspec job for now, but the Chief inspector said I had plenty years of experience, but wanted either some previous inspector exp or to be ICC certified, said I was almost there. So I just need to check on the test to get certified, and I'd have a chance at it. Anyone know about getting it? I'll check the web site.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
F

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard