ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75221 02/17/07 07:47 PM
G
I've been asked to put some extra lighting in a loft space living room. We're trying to avoid any arrangement with impossible-to-change-without-extension-ladder lightbulbs.

And CEC applies here.

Current lighting is exclusively from floorlamps. I haven't yet seen the space but HO describes the darkest area being near the fireplace, and wants to put small potlights facing UP out of the mantlepiece surface, provided there is enough hollow space for the cans. She has pictures on the wall above, so doesn't want wall sconces and I suggested we might use those "eyeball" type potlights to highlight the pictures.

Any experiences with up-mounted lights? (I've seen these before, but is there a special rating I need to look for?)

And I'm concerned that little bitty potlights out of the mantlepiece won't do much to light up a big loftspace, so I'm trying to think of something creative that retains some convenience in lightbulb changing. She wants to avoid track lighting. Ideas?

Thanks everybody.

#75222 02/17/07 08:21 PM
T
Custom pendant lights with loooong cords.

#75223 02/17/07 08:24 PM
T
www.colorkinetics.com

Long life 15 yrs+, look into the white lighting applications. If you need more info, let me know.

[This message has been edited by Tom H (edited 02-17-2007).]

#75224 02/18/07 12:42 AM
P
have you thought about using fiber optic lighting?http://www.svision.com/prod_fo_fixt_fixed_down.html

#75225 02/18/07 06:37 AM
E
e57 Offline
Two words... Suspended track.

I've done a lot of show rooms with high cielings, and what we often did was suspend track to a ladder managable hieght. From there you can aim it anywhere, even up to a certian degree. And it doesn't have to be ugly either, you can do patterns of track, or even fancy monorail in multi-circuit, and have it become a design feature. You can really dress it up, and even hide in or behind stuff. Use pendands on it... I would try to resell the idea - they probhably think the only thing available is Halo, and the many knock-offs.

Like some blown glass pendands like these... http://www.alfalighting.com/

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard