ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I use a 5/8" diversa bit (old 1) and drill a pilot hole through the mud and then tap the conduit through or just pull the 12v cable through(gotta love slow voltage). You can use the drill in reverse if atach a fishing swivel and pull the cable right through.

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
M
I use a 5/8" diversa bit (old 1) and drill a pilot hole through the mud and then tap the conduit through or just pull the 12v cable through(gotta love slow voltage). You can use the drill in reverse if atach a fishing swivel and pull the cable right through.

who'd of thunk it? sounds like a great way for walkways [Linked Image]

E
e57 Offline
Some great methods here and have tied some of them... Including Dnkldorf's which does work well. But can say I have a modification to Obsaleet's that I figure is better, and have done often. I figure a diversabit might drift off somewhere... Pre-drill the hole with roto-hammer and a long masonary(in rocky soil), or you can use an old wood auger and several extentions on a regular hole hog. (Soft loose soil or clay)An old shop I worked for had and SDS bit welded to a long shaft extention for the purpose, about 6' long.

I have also seen on the internet (but never used personaly) an attachement that you can put on RMC up 2" I think. It has a carbid tipped water lubed bit that threads right on, and a water feeding coupling that attaches the drill to the conduit. Suposedly you can with this item drive up 2" pipe 20' or so with a hole hog. When you're done you pull the attachments off the counduit, allow to drain, and you're done.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
IN NE PA COAL IS STILL A COMMON SOURCE OF HEAT... I ASKED A HEATING GUY TO SAVE THE WORM( PART WHICH PULLS COAL INTO THE FURNACE FROM HOPPER) 1 1/4" BY 6' WITH A 1/2" SHAFT.... CHUCK INTO HOLE HAWG AND WALA INSTANT BORIING MACHINE,

LATER

DENNY

Cat Servant
e57, if you happen to have a link, that gadget sounds like it might be handy. Might even help with driving ground rods in rocky soil!

Denny, you know, I have a similar gizmo I bought at a garden shop for planting flower bulbs. I'll have to give it a try.

P
There are two companies that make about the same thing: BorIt and BorZit. These both are powered by a dangerous HoleHawg and use a water hose. One advertizes in one of the contractor magazines. I won't Google it for you.
~Peter

E
e57 Offline
Yep, thats the thing I saw a plumber had one and swore by it. http://www.borit.com/index.cfm

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
We called ours a Hydrosion Auger but don't know if that is correct or not since I got it from another plumber.
We used 7' sections of 1" black pipe and have drilled out as much as 50' or so from a basement to the hole dug at the water meter pit.

I had one employee that was very good at hitting the hole within 6" of where it needed to be and another that drilled a water line under a four lane street once with no problems.

Ours does wash the mud back out at you so a helper is needed to constantly clean it up.

I
ITO Offline
"Water hose and a short of piece of EMT. It gets muddy but it works great"

Yes this does work, and works well, only problem is it also weakens the walkway bed, and in no time at all, you get a call. my sidewalk cracked, where you installed the electric, what are you going to do about it, so that may of been the easiest method, but it was the most costly.

Been doing it this way for 21 years and have never gotten that call. But I get blamed for everything else that goes wrong on a job, so it may be comming some day, because all concrete cracks.

Also note this is the same method sprinkler contractors use.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 01-18-2007).]

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 01-18-2007).]

101° Rx = + /_\
G
The water hose idea works in sandy soil like we have here in Florida but it wouldn't do much in Southern Md clay and gravel.
I shot a 2" 22 feet under my garage and hit a 1' hole I cut in the garage floor on the other side. I made a drill head out of a 2" rounded PVC pipe cap. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the center and three 3/16" holes around the edge about 1/4" in. That worked real well. Glue the 90 on the far end before you start and stub out a foot or so more of pipe before you glue on the hose fitting. That gives you a lever to rotate the pipe as you go. Then cut off the fittings and couple it to the risers when you finish.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard