ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Danish type K Sockets
by winston_1 - 10/25/21 07:30 PM
Flexible Conduit?
by gfretwell - 10/24/21 01:59 AM
May I backfeed 3 phase transformer?
by dsk - 10/22/21 04:37 AM
Wire sizing
by gfretwell - 10/21/21 10:12 PM
GFCI's pops in large numbers
by dsk - 10/21/21 02:03 AM
New in the Gallery:
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Now you know.
Now you know.
by Tom_Horne, September 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74070 01/11/07 05:25 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 886
hbiss Offline OP
Had this question posted in the commercial sound forum by a member:

Any Massachusetts based contractors out there? I need to get a Low Voltage Licence and I'm getting the run around. I've called around and even googled and have gotten responses from What's That? to If you are already a licenced electrician you can just take the test. Can anybody clarify this? I have been doing installations for the past ten years and also have a background in both mechanical and electrical engineering.


I don't remember- does Mass have a LV licence? Can't find anything other than what looks like FA and security.


Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 58
Mass. has class C (systems contractor) license and class D (systems technician license).

Class D you need 4000 hours work experience under a licensed Systems Technician and 300 hours of approved class work. Exam required.

Class C you need 2000 hours as a Systems Technician and 75 hours of approved class work. Exam required.

These licenses allow one to do fire and security wiring. I don't know for sure if you would be allowed to work on anything beyond that.

Continuing education required every three years.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 886
hbiss Offline OP
Right, that's what I'm seeing. Question is do you need a license for data, telephone and sound wiring?

Bob (iwire) would know.


[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 01-11-2007).]

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
Actually I don't know.

My MA J-man covers me for all the work I do and I really do not do voice or data.

I don't believe that MA requires a license for either of those.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 58
Iwire says, "I don't believe that MA requires a license for either of those."

Don't worry. They'll figure out a way to license those. Gotta get those fees to keep the Central Artery repaired.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
dallas, texas, USA
Posts: 70
Joined: January 2002
Top Posters(30 Days)
dsk 7
Popular Topics(Views)
284,881 Are you busy
217,429 Re: Forum
203,743 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5