ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 528 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
G
This is the power line behind my house
Maybe you folks can guess at the size http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/powerline.jpg

I have heard 125kv and 250kv for the top set but I don't know for sure. The posts are about 90-100' high. My boathouse is technically in the right of way but it is over submerged lands so it is state controlled.

Greg Fretwell
With much less information than is given between the stories, the maps, and the videos here, members regularly solve problems, speculate, and come up with answers from hundreds and even thousands of miles away. Just because this happens to be close to your home doesn't mean that it should be sacred ground. Don't take it so personally.

The picture I posted is from about 7 miles from where I used to live, which had a population of 12. A truely hick town right in the middle of SoCA, I lived in a doublewide, trapped crawdads, had a girlfriend with a chip out of her tooth, and I wore bib overalls. [Linked Image]

I'll be the hick, if you'll all be nice to each other [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-31-2006).]

Wow!

You guys are amazing.

Not one of you has been there but have all the answers.

Nice to know I'm not the only one here who can get iwire all wound up! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Wanna bet that whole house is wired with multi-wire homeruns? [Linked Image]

And we know that National Grid uses shared neutrals. [Linked Image]

Seriously though, I do agree with this:

I think everyone involved is at fault if for no more reason than poor planning, a series of unintentional mistakes were made, and everybody's gone into disaster control / embellishment mode.

And as for the value he quoted for the home, etc., if Bob's assessment of the potential value of the whole property is correct, then this guy's still a moron. If you factor in the true cost of construction using all the trades, and so on, he has spent at least 150% of the actual value of the property already as a guess.

O.k., to take it a step further, most people wouldn't buy a house so close to a utility ROW anyways, so hopefully this guy planned on spending the rest of his life there. I don't see it ever being able to sell at it's true value.

I have no sympathy for that guy at all. Sad but True.

edited to change "hose" to "house" [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 12-31-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.
E
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/001220.html

This thread deals with a related issue, and shows that it is possible to get shocked from metal too close to HV lines, however those tent poles are WAY closer to those lines...

Hey Bob, should we all get one of these? [Linked Image] [Linked Image from drscience.com]
:P

-Will

[This message has been edited by Elviscat (edited 12-31-2006).]

I
I'll keep my sponge Bob mug. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
I think I take the prize for being "out of town." Our signs say "Cattle must be fenced" and "occupied area- no discharge of firearms".... you've got to be LOTS closer to need a building permit [Linked Image]

As far as this guy in Massachusetts goes .... by the time ECN is done, the sundry lawyers will have their work done for them!

Now, Iwire is in the area, and is quite knowledgeable. We won't mind a bit if he "moonlights" a bit, and gets to the bottom of this controversy.

BTW ... did I see crop circles in that sat pic?

[Linked Image]

None of y'all know hick till you'se been where I's livin [Linked Image] Y'all check out our city song [Linked Image]

Bakersfield Rap

Now back on the subject.... Al, purely out of curiousity, where did you learn about those voltage readings? I've come across similar situations, sans the HV lines and located a loose poco neutral and the water bond not being anywhere nears within 8' of the piping entering the home (it was on the backyard hosebib, water entered through the front)... But no power connection here so scrap that idea....

Bob or Al, how close would you figure the house is from the nearest HV phase?

I
I went there and I would say that the closest power line is about 45' away.

Close by 'normal' distances along these lines but certainly not the 27' mentioned earlier in the thread.

Reno....I'll get to the bottom of them crop circles as well. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
I would agree with Bob on the 45'. A Fluke meter was used to take the readings.
As far as the owner goes I feel bad for him. He is in a bad spot.
Al

L
LK Offline
"Close by 'normal' distances along these lines but certainly not the 27' mentioned earlier in the thread."

Nothing like seeing for yourself, i felt like i was the only one here that agreed he had real problems, might be because i have seen these problems before, Al's information was helpful, in showing there is a real problem there, and yes, the utility is not going to give any information, including the grid traffic, and at what levels they transmit, so it would be just a good guess at this point.

Bob, Tnx for the info.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 12-31-2006).]

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard