ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#73496 12/24/06 09:50 PM
J
Joey D Offline OP
Removed my gang box from a job on friday, take it home with all the other job site leftovers. I left the box outside as the garage is messy only to find it with 1/2" water in it when the lid was closed.
It seems while on the job the carpenter used it as a work bench and cut a 4in long slice right in the top.
No one said anything, and you know they know it happened when the did it. Called the home owner today to tell him and 1st thing he says is drop it off and I will buy you a new one. That I like but I will just weld it back up but still pisses me off that nobody says anything.

#73497 12/24/06 10:19 PM
don't get me started on the other trades

Tom
#73498 12/24/06 10:46 PM
J
But for now you've got one heck of an indoor piggy bank.
Joe

#73499 12/25/06 12:49 AM
J
Joey D Offline OP
I like the indoor piggy bank

#73500 12/25/06 09:25 PM
T
in mexico I have seen the tops of block walls covered with mortar, a bunch of glass beer bottles stuck in the mortar, and after it has dried, they break the beer bottles leaving a sharp jagged deterrent to anyone trying to climb the wall. Maybe something like that would keep the carpenters off [Linked Image]

#73501 12/26/06 07:33 AM
Joey,
Ever heard of the idea of keeping an eye on your tools and thier storage?.
That is one reason why I only wear a tool belt on building sites.
Sure, blame everyone else, but it comes down to the owner of the tools.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-26-2006).]

#73502 12/26/06 11:10 PM
J
Joey D Offline OP
Give me a break with that stupid comment. A long project is what the gang box is designed for so all the little things for the project can remain on site and protected. I don't expect the box to remain in perfect condition as it's a job site and things will get bumped and banged but to just use it like a cutting board is ignorant and not telling me is even more so.

#73503 12/27/06 09:01 AM
M
Trumpy,

gotta agree with Joe on this one. It's not cost effective to load and unload all the small tools and equipment into a truck everyday. It's not cost effective to transport those items to and from the shop every day.

I can say, that while we don't do much new construction anymore (thank god) when we do, I'm appalled by the lack of consideration on jobsites. It seems that if you leave a box of fittings sitting around for more than 5 mins, it automatically becomes a garbage can for someone. Or if you happen to leave anything not locked up, it gets moved without a 2nd thought (sometimes, you even get it back) But there is no thought or consideration for any other trade these days. It's a shame.

We've done hundreds of jobs over the years that had job boxes on them. We've done jobs where we've built fenced in cages to contain other material and larger tools. If we tried to work with nothing but a toolbelt, we'd still be on half of those jobs, just moving the material/tools from the shop to the job and back again.

But, we've never had anyone saw into the top on accident. On purpose, yeah. [Linked Image]

#73504 12/27/06 11:25 AM
Cat Servant
Oh, where to start? I suppose it's best if I just toss out a few random thoughts here and there....

While I appreciate your rage, I have to look at this in context...

Let's take a 'cheap as possible" GC, contractors providing as little as possible in terms of equipment, as well as bringing in help that has no right to work, low pay ... it's actually a surprise that more of this doesn't happen.

On the flip side ... how often have we had to improvise a workbench? I'm actually surprised that no one offers a job box that is specifically designed to double as a workbench. Or, for that matter, with seat cushions!

I note a real increase in damage to equipment when:
A) Equipment is seen as 'company" rather than "personal" gear; or,
B) Job site relations are poor.

I've given up understanding human nature. It seem a man will prefer to be a thief, rather than a beggar ... and will set aside all scruples rather than be laughed at.

Along with that goes the thought "Why should I be held accountable to every Tom, Dick, and Harry ... when no one feels accountable to me?"

I was once the only non-Union contractor on a job. At this job, the site manager was there, scheduling was done, trades co-ordinated, contractors showed up with all necessary gear, and the "help" was actually there to work! A lot of jobs need to learn from those guys....

Well, I've rambled enough. Sorry about the box; I've seen enough of the welders' art to be sure a repair can be made, without much fuss.

Link Copied to Clipboard