ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 456 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Now, I'm familiar with all the arguments that we need protection, accountability, etc. ... but I'm not convinced that the current system accomplishes any of that.

I have worked in areas that have licensing and areas that do not.

I will take licensed and inspected work any day over what I have seen when people are left to do as they please.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
Mike, for some comparisons of the licensing laws between states check out the link below.
http://www.mikeholt.com/statelicense.php

Roger

J
Bob makes some great points. From sea to sea shining sea across this great nation you have a very broad mix of people, people groups, mentalities, ways of doin' things, values, etc.

Some areas of this country would resent the idea that "some people over there are telling us how to do things over here." It must be part of that independent spirit that some how has been passed form generation to generation since the country's inception. Autonomy has a way of feeling more real when power and control remains as local as practical.

Being from IL, just outside of Chicago, I'd love to see at least a state license. Around here, within a given radius of my home town, there are different requirements for codes and licensing, it starts to become a real headache. To me it makes sense to at least have licensing requirements and codes be universal within a couple hour commute, but then you have to debate where the center of that circle is placed.

As a free people, I think it is more comforting to submit power and authority to a local jurisdiction and/or entity. That way if the need should arise to yank that authority back, it would be easier, only a small local uprising rather than another revolution.

E
I would say this is a state's rights issue, this issue has been hotly debated, and at one time even caused the United States to break into a bloody civil war.

Congress is given, in Article I, Section 8, specifically the power to regulate commerce BETWEEN states, and with foreign nations, the right to regulate commerce between states (which, IMHO a national license for tradesmen would do) has long been held as a fundamental right of each individual state (I.E. a state can tax something bought in the state, but only the federal government can tax goods moving between two states) so, if I'm reading the situation right, such a proposal would be unconstitutional.

Remember, the U.S. was not always one nation, it has been 14 several nations (Texas was independant until at asked to be annexed by the United States) and many powers of government are still reserved for the individual states.

M
Id like to see a country wide license in Australia and all of our electricians are licensed. We are only lisenced in our states and cannot work in another "legally" without getting a license for that state also and we only have 8 states and territorys. I have often wondered how the licensing goes for shutdowns and construction when people come in from different states, maybe it is convieniently ignored? In the long term it would be better for us here and in the US but like many have said, it wont happen quickly.

I
ITO Offline
It won’t work for the simple reason that anything the US Federal Government touches goes straight to hell; there are way too many special interests, lawyers, and bureaucrats involved. That and the local AHJ would lose too much power.

101° Rx = + /_\
A
It's only something the licensed folk will debate, the DIY'ers will continue as usual straight on through till morning.

On the down side, could you imagine trying to get something inspected, you would have to call on someone from the federal electrical inspection agency (closed every time you need them - fill out this form in gazillicate) - you would have a better chance of pulling your own head off. It's better that it's a local issue.

N
The issues of licensing and inspections are really 2 totally different areas of responsibility.

Because building inspections need to be done at the actual worksites, inspection seems like a natural function of the local municipality. The fact that building improvements also connect with local property tax assesments, etc. provide further reason to leave this at a local level.

I would support licensing of electricians at a national level, though. The NEC in some form is pretty much universal nationwide, and any local amendments/additions could be provided to the electrician when they pull a permit in an area that enforces such changes. A single nationwide licensing standard would help electricians who want to move around the country, help assure consumers of a minimum baseline level of competence no matter where they live, and smooth out a lot of red tape in times of national emergency like hurricane rebuilding efforts where sparkies from all over converge in a given area to lend a hand.

I
ITO Offline
I am hope I find time to play devil's advocate on this tomorrow...

101° Rx = + /_\
X
It is to my understanding in the medical field (As In a Doctor)you can have a "National" license if you take your test in California, Michigan, or New York. That is something I heard many years ago. Never bothered to check it out though. In fact if I am thinking right your Board Exam from those three states helps you get your license in any state. I'm all for State's rights. But, good grief this is the 21st Century. I have heard rumors in Florida you have to yield the right of way to emergency vehicles. Including Doctors with a barely visible tag on the front license plate! Do you know every State's traffic laws? I don't and I think common sense should prevail here.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard