ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

>> Home   >> Electrical-Photos   >> Classifieds   >> Subscribe to Newsletter   >> Store  
 

Advertisement:-Left

AE-Gifts, Affordable Everyday

Recent Gallery Topics:
What in Tarnation?
What in Tarnation?
by timmp, September 10
Plumber meets Electrician
Plumber meets Electrician
by timmp, September 10
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#72964 12/12/06 11:54 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 32
S
sudsy4 Offline OP
Member
Is there a requirement for line side conductors to be terminated on the top of a disconnect, or was that just a known way to do it. Been seeing alot of factory wired equipment pre-wired with the line conductors expected to terminate at the bottom of the disconnect device (breaker).
For 35 years, this was always unexceptable to me...line top, load bottom.


Bill
Tools for Electricians:

Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians

#72965 12/13/06 01:01 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 49
R
Member
That's a good question.

I also thought line was on top. I thought line had to be on top so the arc squelch mechanism operated correctly when the breaker opens.

#72966 12/13/06 03:22 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,876
E
e57 Offline
Member
In the trade for about 1/2 of that 35, and I too remember it the same way, but have noticed that it is no longer the case. I'm sure it was a requirement at some point, but can't tell you when it was removed - But I think "Line" was stamped at the top for everything for quite some time after that. "line on top" - is something that I was always told....

Or, maybe the last vestages of any wording that may have implied it are in 404.6(A-C)

"Single-throw knife switches shall be placed so that gravity will not tend to close them." And, by design... it ended up that way - 'Line on top'.


Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#72967 12/13/06 05:42 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 101
J
Member
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the issue is, you are required to connect in the manner proscribed by the device manufacturer, and they almost all say Line on top, Load on bottom. If you have to do it differently for some reason, you have to get special labels indicating the change so that some future electrician would not make a careless mistake by assuming the convention. I got that info from an inspector on a job where I had to back-feed a main circuit breaker.


JRaef
#72968 12/13/06 05:56 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
I
Moderator
Not many single throw switching devices are marked line and load anymore.

Fused disconnects have to de-energize the fuses, that eliminates any options with those.

Most breakers can be used any direction,

Quote
I got that info from an inspector on a job where I had to back-feed a main circuit breaker.

I agree it is a good idea bit the inspector was asking for something that is not required by the NEC

Quote
Or, maybe the last vestages of any wording that may have implied it are in 404.6(A-C)

"Single-throw knife switches shall be placed so that gravity will not tend to close them." And, by design... it ended up that way - 'Line on top'.

Once you get to double throw (a manual ATS for example) that goes out the window.


Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#72969 12/13/06 01:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,054
Likes: 40
G
Member
The only limiting rule is the way the handle operates.


Greg Fretwell
#72970 12/13/06 01:23 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 91
H
Member
I think that 404.6 is about it for code regarding this.

Tools for Electricians:

Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians

#72971 12/13/06 11:22 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 32
S
sudsy4 Offline OP
Member
Thanks for the replies


Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5