ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 404 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#7284 01/30/02 07:51 AM
J
Bill
Your head may be in the right place, but I believe as some of the others; do you really want an isolated location where only members of a certain group can chat? (If a subject is important enough to someone belonging to the IAEI it is also important to a non-menber). To me, this would be a turn off to your site. Its like the "contractors" only location at the supply house-you see it and people are turned off due to the stigma associated - Non-contractors are not welcome - I know this is not the reason for the special location but its the image portrayed that is important. It appears that you have a good group of people contributing to your site - I think it is a gamble on your part - you may alienate more than you gain.

#7285 01/30/02 01:31 PM
D
Bill -

I commend your efforts to get additional participation and I understand some being concerned about reactions in an open forum.

However, I've never considered any of these forums totally 'open'. As I go through the different members IDs there really is no information about anyone - you and George seem to be the only members actually using your names. I mean, who is 'dana'? or sparky, etc....an inspector in CGO, an electrician in Baltimore? Peoples identidies are completely masked in these forums so folks really do have an opportunity to speak their minds, opinions or mistakes without anyone else knowing who that individual really is.

But - all that said, if you go over to the IAEI site which is for members, there is very little participation compared to this site; you can go for days betweens postings.

#7286 01/30/02 11:32 PM
N
No one liked the new format and went away. It used to have as much participation as this one or Mike Holts.

#7287 02/02/02 01:01 PM
M
I use my name, but I am very careful to post the differences of my opinion, my practices (wether right or wrong), and what I know to be true and citation of facts. If I get called on a fact I better have the source ready to show, especially in such a letigious society. I view this forum to be a place where we can all talk and pass around ideas to make our lives and those of the people who we work for safer in the end.

Mike Wescoatt
#7288 02/02/02 05:47 PM
I think one of the great things about ECN is the fact that anyone that is interested can participate.
If there's a little room for every clique, that will be lost.
Not being a "members only" group has been one of the reasons (IMHO) that this group has grown so well in the last year or so that I've been here.

#7289 02/03/02 10:50 AM
F
Nick,

I am an IAEI member. I have also noticed that the IAEI message board has limited activity. I've often wondered why. It's disappointing. I remember when it used to be very active.

I use my full name when posting at this message board because I want to hold myself somewhat accountable for my words. I've often questioned if I'm doing the right thing. By using my full name it makes me think twice before I post anything. I used to be embarrassed to ask "stupid questions". I do realize however that nobody knows everything. Our trade has so many specialty areas. The people that post here have been kind and informative.

Bill,

I wouldn't be oppossed to what you suggest. As Elzappr noted "What the heck, why not just do it and see how it goes".

#7290 02/03/02 05:55 PM
Maybe the IAEI fellows could participate more in their own group. Maybe they could exclude others from their own website.

I don't believe that's the reason that the ECN website is here, but then again I might be wrong.
If all non-contractors (After all, it is "Electrical Contractor's Network") were excluded, I wouldn't ever have come here! I don't have a C-10 license.
Our engineer friends aren't "electrical contractors", surprisingly, none of the inspector friends post as a "contractor", but I sure appreciate their help!
I learn something new from a helper every day.
If you want a stuffy, facts only website, then conform it.
I like it the way it is !! [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard