ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 366 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Haligan Offline OP
Every Christmas I go visit Mom back East. The air is bone dry and the static electricity is un-freakin-believable. Every time I step out of the car I fry myself when I close the door. The spark is HUGE. In broad daylight, it's about the size of a dime. I scream and say bad words that one should not say in front of their mother.

Grabbing the door frame and then stepping down helps only sometimes. Other times, the charge is so big I get fried anyway.

All of the anti-static items I've seen are stationary mats and wrist straps and things. I'm going to make my own personal portable ant-static doohicky so I won't get zapped and consequently my mother will continue to believe I'm the fine upstanding young man she raised.

Your suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

Y
Yeah, around here the static is annoying. I always hold onto my key and ground it on the metal of the door when I get out, that way the key gets the blast.

H
Haligan Offline OP
It must have plastic between you and the key because I tried that once with a bare key and the increased conductivity made it 3x as bad.

M
I built them years ago, I called it a Personal Discharge Device…

Just take a 1 Meg ohm, 1-watt resistor (just so it’s big enough) and bend a full loop on one lead and solder it closed. Then fold the other lead back on itself, solder it, and put it on your keyring.

Now just touch the resistor to anything before you do.

H
Haligan Offline OP
Matt-

Thanks! I'm going to make some BPDDs for the whole family and give them as stocking stuffers.

Barrett Personal Discharge Device

I am famous for my own kind of discharge device. It has a bad reputation tho....

G
I think I would be cautious about doing this with a car key. If this is a new car with a chip in the key you might be there for a while.

Greg Fretwell
J
Can I ask what material your pants are made out of and what your car seat is made from?

Is this cotton to leather or polyester to vinyl?

R
Ron Offline
Matt,
Can you share some of the theory behind the Barrett Personal Discharge Device?

Where do those pesky electrons go? The completed circuit is still through you, isn't it?

Ron
They used to sell a little strip of conducting rubber that trailed from the car's rear bumper to just touch the road. This was supposed to discharge static from the vehicle. Did it work? I dunno, I was only ten at the time, but they looked like a good flashy product for taking money off mugs!

Man-made fibre is the problem. Try cotton, wool or /mix socks, shorts and pants. You can actually buy conducting shoes, [not recommended for electricians though!], or try leather soles. Natural products like wool, cotton, linen etc., conduct well because they contain water mechanically locked into the fibers. They feel nicer to wear too, IMO, although leather soles wear out fast. My dad used to hammer iron studs into the soles and heels of his work boots to prolong their life, anyone remember them?

The idea is for both the vehicle and you to be at the same potential as the street.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
J
I got my worst shocks like this wearing a suit while driving my '97 E350 with vinyl seats and the pants were some synthetic fiber. after pulling the plastic handle, pushing the plastic interior door panel and sliding across the seat out the door, intial contact with the metal body discharged a screamer.

But day-to-day routine in cotton jeans, no shocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard