ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#71800 11/07/06 09:50 PM
T
Is there a cheaper way to do this?

We have a 12KW generator. The transfer switch I found is a 'Service Rated 200A auto- transfer switch' $900

They have a cheaper auto switch thats $700 but its not service rated. So I don't think I can use that one.

Any advice on doing this cheap or know a cheap place online I could order this?

The generator is a GE I think. The customer is gonna call and see what he can get. I know some generator transfer switches only work with certain generators.

[This message has been edited by Trick440 (edited 11-07-2006).]

Shake n Bake
L
OK I'll bite.

What are you doing?

Standby generator for a house? A hospital? Your garage?

Is it for the whole structure? A sub panel? Vital loads?

Does switch need to be automatic? Is the genny auto or remote start?

Single phase or three phase?

Coffee, tea, or me? Whoops, sorry wrong question. [Linked Image]

Larry "SmartA**" C

S
With a generator that small, I'm assuming this is for a house? At 240V, that's about 60A, which isn't a whole lot. Does it need to be automatic? You could find a manual transfer switch for much cheaper, I'm sure.

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 11-08-2006).]

I
I agree with Steve.

A 60 amp not service rated automatic or manual transfer switch and a 60 amp panel will be cheaper than the 200 amp service rated ATS alone.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
Yes this is for a house.

It does need to be automatic. The generator is auto start.

It came to mind that the switch might need to be generator specific. As in, a Cutler Hammer switch will only work with CH generators... Or GE with GE , etc.

He wants the whole panel powered. He currently has a 12 circuit ATS... but like I said wants the whole panel powered.

Sounds to me if this guys wants his whole panel fired up automaticaly, then he needs the Service Rated, 200a ATS... and we might only be able to get it from the generator manufacturer.. if its generator specific.

Does that sound about right?

[This message has been edited by Trick440 (edited 11-08-2006).]

Shake n Bake
S
Going cheap on a transfer switch is a bad idea.Try kato light they have a big selection.Do they sell them on here?I prefer russellelectric myself.However that would be a huge overkill for a home.I have installed the generac switches in homes.Nothing automatic is going to be cheap price wise anyway.

I don't think Cheap and Automatic Transfer belong in the same sentence.
You can't drive a Cadillac if all you want to pay for is a Yugo.

If Automatic, spend the money and get what you need to do a good, safe job..

If Cheap, Get manual switch, manual start, and warm coat.

Cat Servant
I don't think I've ever installed a transfer switch that was made by the generator maker. probably the leader in this field is the company with the unlikely name of "Automatic Switch Company," or ASCO (Not to be confused with the valves of the same name).

Your supply house should be able to put you in touch with a rep. The switch company will help you select the switch, and could very well have someone there to inspect it before you power it up.

Even if you don't need to break a PoCo seal, you really need to get your PoCo 'in the loop.' They will make the appropriate notes, so as to limit the risk to their linemen.

The generator rep ought to also fill you in as to noise, and the regular exercising of the genny. My customers run theirs, weekly. Some transfer the load at this time, others have "load banks" (glorified toasters) that are used. And -trust me on this- noise is a BIG issue. Get the mufler kit!

N
(Not to be confused with the valves of the same name)

While transfer switches and solenoid valves aren't exactly interchangeable, both of those product lines are made by the SAME company.
http://www.asco.com/

E
e57 Offline
Why does it need to be service rated? are you transfering before, or in main equipment?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard