ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
Gee Offline OP
Just wondering what your inturpertation of the following specification would be with reguards to bushings and EMT as well as rigid conduits.

“ Where they enter boxes or cabinets that do not have threaded hubs, rigid metal conduits shall be secured in place with galvanized locknuts inside and outside the cabinet. Other conduits shall have a locknut fastened fitting with bushing, or a fitting with an insulated smooth throat at the cabinet, with the conduit inserted on the outside of the fitting.”

Thanks for your opinions

A
That means either you use galv. rigid conduit, terminated as stated with two locknuts and a bushing or if PVC, use a male adapter, locknut and bushing, a female adapter with insulated throat chase nipple or if emt, you use an insulated throat connector or a conventional connector with bushing.

G
Gee Offline OP
Well, I dont see where bushings on rigid conduit are required in that specification.
Even though we installed them on all rigid conduits.

However we did not install bushings on 1/2" EMT conduits with standard throat fittings.
And reading the specification again, I only see where bushings for "other conduits" are required @ cabinets not boxes.

Agree ?

I guess I should also add the very next sentence of the specifications states:

Install plastic bushings on all conduits 1" and above..

Also can anyone tell me where I can get fittings that I can "insert the conduit on the outside of the fitting"
end sarcasim

Cat Servant
All that spec seems to ad to 'standard practices' is that the EMT fittings need to have the plastic liners in their throats.

RMC, IMC need bushinge everwhere except threaded hubs.

Overall, the spec is no more onerous than ones calling for steel fittings (as opposed to zinc).

Oh- and watch that you use steel locknuts- and not zinc ones!

Link Copied to Clipboard