ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#70777 10/13/06 03:06 AM
L
For the last three years I've been wearing this leather 3" wide belt with a leather tool pouch and klien canvas linemans bag. The pouch has about had it. So, I was looking for a new one. One kind in particular, I believe the name of the brand is called, 'tek-pak'.

Not sure though, I do remeber that it is made out of cordura and it is black. The pouch itself is small in width. Maybe some of ya'll out there know what I'm talking about. Speaking of tool belts, what do the rest of ya wear out in the feild?

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#70778 10/13/06 03:29 AM
E
e57 Offline
Pants , with a hammer loop , and a small pouch with some pliers , and a few screw drivers .

I try to work light as I am right now up not being able to sleep with my aching back..... Everything heavier than this list above resides in a nearby tool box .

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#70779 10/13/06 05:04 AM
Gidday Luke,
I've had a Leather tool-holder for some years now and it is not wearing out.
It's a locally made thing, however.
It holds all sorts of things, let alone my tools for a given job.
Let me upload some pics in the morning of the thing.
[Linked Image]

#70780 10/13/06 05:20 AM
L
I think my old one was made by AWP. The rivets are letting go. I'll look forward to your pictures though.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#70781 10/13/06 07:50 PM
C
A Carhartt A09 "Nail Apron":

[Linked Image from gemplers.com]

...for the light stuff ....

And an empty bucket for the rest - doubles as a seat.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#70782 10/13/06 09:02 PM
I've got a set of "Boulder Bags" that you can carry a whole shop in. I hate 'em [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Renosteinke turned me on to these, though. Skiller's Vest

[Linked Image]

They're (2) ordered and should be here in a couple of days. I'm anxious to see how they work.

#70783 10/13/06 10:15 PM
S
I used to wear the belt with the Klien 5165 tool holder loaded with tools, but over time it just got too damn heavy and it had to go. That time came less than a year ago and now I just use a pouch from HD loaded with RX staples, green bonding screws, and wirenuts.

In my right side pants pocket I store my linemans pliers, front pocket utility knife, rear pocket flathead 'beefy' screwdriver, and tape measure. This makes it a whole lot easier to move around and get things done. The bucket is nearby and everything else I may need is in there, like for instance a flashlight or MC stripper.

My bucket also doubles as a seat and sometimes even as a step ladder!

#70784 10/13/06 10:47 PM
P
I'll bite on this one.
That Carhart's tool apron is on the right track. Currently, I use a $5 canvas tool apron. I must credit one of my instructors, Feorge Stout, with this revelation. Most electricians seem to have been brainwashed with the idea that they must carry all of their tools on their hips constantly.
Maybe it fits the image. Watch Norm Abram on New Yankee Workshop. He always wears a tool belt. But when he needs a tool such as a plane, he picks it up off the workbench. He never seems to retrieve a tool from his toolbelt. It is strictly part of the costume.
George's point was that, no matter what you are doing, you only need two or three tools for the task at hand. For instance, if you are making up boxes, you just need wire strippers, a Phillips screwdriver and an Electrician's hammer ["Klein's"] for pre-twisting the wires. You don't need a Roto-Split nor a hammer nor a nut-driver So why carry all that up and down a ladder all day?
An overflowing toolbag represents ALL the tools the owner has. I'm beyond that. Now I have a nice, three tray red cart to carry all the ancilliary stuff. Must weigh 200 lbs. Can't carry all that in a tool pouch!

My apron is loaded as follows:
Left is slot for utility knife.
Then is big pocket for wire nuts and some LRTs.
Middle pocket happens to be berift of it's intended Tek screws. But that's what it's used for.
Right big canvas pocket is for junk like Caddy clips [Batwings]. Upper berth hase some spare 8-32 box screws. And a small pair of ViceGrip needle nose pliers and a long 1/4" hex extension bit, quick change. The last little pocket contains two small ChannelLock type grippers and a 6" half round file.
My rear hip pocket carries the current selection of tools of the task which rotates between my electrians hammer, electrian's chisel [AKA "screwdriver"], and wire strippers.
Also I carry a 3/8" cold chisel and open ended 3/8"/7/16" and 1/2"/9/16" wrenches in two other slots. These will handle most everything. The 1/2" wide X 12' tape measure ends up clipped to the middle pouch. Don't laugh -- conduit is only 10' long.
~PeterA

#70785 10/13/06 11:38 PM
T
I'm a minimalist with a tool belt & I wish more small tool belts were available.

I keep four screwdrivers, reamer, strippers, small lineman's pliers, needlenose pliers, non-contact sensor, pencil, sharpie, retractable knife & a miniature crescent wrench.

Dave

#70786 10/14/06 09:44 AM
E
e57 Offline
Scott, you'll like the vest, however it is only an element of a system. It can carry only a very limited few small tools - but you can add to it. Add a hammer loop, or a small pouch like the one in my post or this one. Then you're sort of in business... What I like about it, if I'm not going to be using something, I can take that part off. Just velcro it on. Or move things from the vest to the pants. I can also switch it for certain tasks. I have a bunch of these nail liners with stuff for certain tasks. Wood screws, staples, self drillers, and 1/2" EMT straps. They drop into the pockets, so if all I'm gonna be doing for a while is lay out, strip it all off to just a tape, pencils, markers and all those 8x11 SK drawings..... Then running wire add some connectors or staples, splicing add the pouch... One bad thing about it is - You can get lost in them. Forget where you put something and you're patting yourself down.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard