ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#70296 10/03/06 04:39 PM
R
RobbieD Offline OP
Does anybody know where I can get a good HID Fixture Tester. I'm looking for the ones that you screw in a Medium base, or Mogul base HID fixture. With the power on the leds that are on the tester should indicate whether the ballast or the starter is bad. I found the site below with one of these testers but couldn't find it anywhere else. Because I couldn't find it anywhere else makes me think that these are no good. Any suggestions on where to look if they do make these testers? Thanks.

http://www.brite-lite.com/CdnShop/Publish/vindex.htm?cat131.htm

#70297 10/03/06 07:04 PM
C
http://www.simplyltg.com/acatalog/Miscellaneous.html
Doesn't look much different, though

#70298 10/03/06 08:01 PM
R
RobbieD Offline OP
Thanks, I think it is the same thing. Are there any manufacturers of products like these in North America? You know, a company that has a web page that describes their manufactured item. Are these any good or are they #rap?

#70299 10/04/06 11:35 AM
X
I've bought a few items from this place before.

mitchellinstrument.net

Here's the page for the HID testers.
http://mitchellinstrument.net/Merch...Y&Store_Code=MI&Category_Code=E3

#70300 10/07/06 10:29 AM
S
You can test a ballast using a True RMS DMM,test for Open Cicuit Voltage across the socket, and for Short Circuit Currrent across the socket. SCC can be tested with a meter with a "feed through" feature,(my Fluke 179 has 10 amp capability and is protected by a fast acting fuse),or I saw at a trade show a screw in device with a shorting loop attached to it for use with a clamp around type meter.
If the ballast has an ignitor, the X3 lead needs to be disconnected before testing to prevent meter damage. I found specifications for a capacitor that can be placed across the meter leads to avoid disconnecting X3, but I can't read the rating on mine anymore, and I don't remember which manufacturer I got that from(sorry).
Sometimes the ballasts have the SCC,& OCV marked on them, if not Advance Ballast has a "Pocket Guide To H.I.D. Ballasts" available that lists them.
If OCV and SCC are correct and the ballast uses an ignitor and it still doesn't work,the ignitor is usually the problem.
My concern with the screw in testers is how do they indicate a good ballast? How does it know the difference between say a good 175 watt M.H., and a 400 watt M.H. with a weak capacitor? Similar OCV, But different SCC.
Hope this helps

Chuck

Link Copied to Clipboard