ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 418 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
One day I was talking to an inspector during a service upgrade and said I sure hope I get these Polaris connectors back. He said why not just use NM clamps and tape them. Go figure.

L
LK Offline
Good that he is an inspector, and not loose in the contracting field, I would of told him it's my liability not yours.

G
I have never seen it but I have certainly heard of people using Romex connectors on the service conductors from our folks up north. Do you do this "hot"? That is more frightening than the resulting connection.
Usually FPL is pretty good about getting a guy out there with his fancy crimper and the right skills (PPE, insurance etc) to do this.

Greg Fretwell
H
I've seen it...after we smelled the fire and unwrapped the black tape and saw the romex connectors. Not a pretty sight!

J
What about 110.14 B Where on the box of romex connectors, or in their literature did anyone find them to be identified for this use?

D
Polaris? Expensive connector...

It just seems a $.89 Blackburn H-crimp would be the way to go.

The liability issue of a romex connector on that nuetral, would be insurance enough for me not to use them.

And I would think they would be quicker to install.

A real classic example of 'penny wise, dollar foolish'

If seen by my eyes, a red sticker...."call me!" 110.14b for starters.
John

John
K
When I run into these terms that people use that I'm not familiar with, I like to check them out on http://www.tradeslang.com.

T
I was called to replace a service where a carpenter had connected L1 to the main and L2 to the nuetral bar. When he turned the main on the insulation started bubbling, so he shut it off quick. He had walked the utility lines across the yard and tied them with rope to the soffit of the new addition.

He connected the service wires to the utility wires with tape only.

Dave

Tiger:
I've seen everything from real crimps, to wire nuts, to duct tape, to strands of steel wire, to grd rod (acorn) clamps, to Polaris type, to ......

Additions sometimes are 'built' around the service drop, or over the old UG. I've had three cut off by the POCO this week.

Support.....rope, romex, scaffolding, 2x4's trees, etc.

John

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard