Another service call today...dryer out..appliance repairman says no 220 at recep. Found a piece of 12/2 UF from the recep to a J box 3 feet away. Open the J box theres a piece of #12 SJ cord feeding the j box which in turn feeds two 20 amp circuits and the dryer. Also couldn't find a breaker for the dryer till I shut off the 60 amp range breaker. The SJ cord was spliced into the range receptacle and run up thru the wall into the attic over to the laundry room. Was a widow, her husband did all the wiring. Gave her a price for 3 new circuits and left.
The funny thing is, she said it worked for years, yet there was no signs of overheating at the receptacle terminals. I have seen dryers wired with #12 before and usually the insulation is pretty bad at the screw terminals.
I have mentioned this before, a while back, but it is so scary I want to repeat it. In my parent's house I once blew a breaker. It sounded WAY above the 15A the receptacle (old, old, 15A triplex w/o ground) was rated for... and the amount of blackening around the receptacle was seemingly too much. I look down in the basement at the panel and... it's on a 50A double-pole breaker that is also feeding the 25A gas furnace. Turns out the chumps my grandpa hired to "carpenteer" the house sucked as electricians... and no permits were filed for ANY of the work-- carpentry, electric, none. It still makes me angry.