ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#67335 07/04/06 01:42 AM
I
Who would want receptacles face up? You have no idea how many times I have been asked for just that in both residential and commercial over the last 15 years

Maybe you should try it in residential.

It seems to work fine as 99% of them in this area are face up on the floor.

I don't know what you guys do on the west coast that finds it's way into the outlets under a range but I don't see it happening here. [Linked Image]

We all should install equipment in a way we are comfortable with but at the same time we also need to remember that 'our way' is not the only way. [Linked Image]

BTW If I put a range receptacle in the cabinet I bet I would get failed by the inspector. (no real code just a "we don't do that here" rule)

Edit: It just dawned on me that Mark may be thinking a 120 volt 20 amp outlet.

I believe we are talking about the 50 amp 250 volt surface mount range receptacles.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-04-2006).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#67336 07/04/06 02:59 AM
E
e57 Offline
Yes Bob in the context of the what you quoted me on, yes, I was refering to Steves comment on countertops...
Why would anyone even THINK of placing a receptacle face-up on a countertop?

But back to the range outlet, don't think I have ever seen one installed on the floor, doubt I ever will around here. Just one of those interpetation type items. Simluar to those removable panels on Sub-Zero reffers that allow it to be un-plugged without unscrewing and moving it, provided you have put the receptical in its prescribed 6"X6" area described in the instructions as access to disconnect. Many other appliances around here are looked at in the same way. Dishwashers, trash compactors, ovens, insta-hots, under-cab reffers and even microwaves if installed fastened in place. Most find the outlet in adjacent cab, not that its required, or the only way, just the way we do it around here. But if you folk back in mAssachusettes (Where I grew up BTW) wanna lift a range to unplug it, more power to ya. [Linked Image]

Anyway, like I said earier... "Note the OP is being questioned by the boss as to why it might not pass, which is why I replied with questions as the premis to the codes posted, otherwise its fine", install anyway you see fit, so long as it doesn't clearly violate a code, or common sense...

Or maybe I try this again with smilies. [Linked Image]

"Is it horizontal face up? Could it count as a work surface?" [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#67337 07/04/06 03:02 AM
E
e57 Offline
Oh, I should also repeat.... Neither mountain, or mole hill....

And go figure, obviously subject to damage, it got smashed.....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-04-2006).]

Mark Heller
#67338 07/04/06 05:24 AM
I
Mark really, your way is not the only code compliant way.

But if you folk back in Massachusetts (Where I grew up BTW) wanna lift a range to unplug it, more power to ya.

I have no doubt it is much more wide spread than MA. But why on earth would I lift the range, you pull out the drawer as specifically allowed by the NEC. (You posted it yourself.) [Linked Image]

422.33(B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cord-and-plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, if it is accessible from the front by removal of a drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of 422.33(A)

Why is that section there if it is not to be used?

314.27(C) does not apply.

314.27(C) applies to outlets in the floor not outlets on the floor.

We are taking about a surface mounted outlet not a flush mounted outlet.

406.4(E) Receptacles in Counter tops and Similar Work Surfaces in Dwelling Units.

Are you saying the FLOOR under a range is a work surface similar to a countertop?

I think that is a real stretch. (more than a stretch it just plain does not apply)

As the OP was asking about code compliance not how Mark would do it the bottom line (IMO) is it is a NEC compliant installation.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-04-2006).]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#67339 07/04/06 01:32 PM
E
e57 Offline
Bob, you're still not getting the joke and the fact that there is a non-existant conflict here.

Is it horizontal face up? Could it count as a work surface? Answer: No But who knows.... They could be very short.... [Linked Image] So no 406.4 would not apply....

Could the receptical be looked at as a means of disconnect, and not acessible? Or isolated? Or not accessible to wiring method? i.e. having to remove a finish to move the stove, or buried under it.

Answer: Maybe That depends solely on the stove, and IF it has access through a drawer, or other way, many do not. [Linked Image]

And I'll say this for the third time....

[/b]Otherwise its fine[/b], install anyway you see fit, so long as it doesn't clearly violate a code, or common sense...

With that Happy 4th.... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
#67340 07/04/06 01:56 PM
I
That depends solely on the stove, and IF it has access through a drawer, or other way, many do not

Not trying to bust your chops here, just asking a question.

I have never seen an electric floor standing range that did not have a removable drawer.

Do they make such a thing?

I know or I think most Gas ranges do not have the drawer as that is the broiler on the Gas ranges.

No I am not getting the joke, but have a great and safe 4th of July. I am sure you have some good food planed. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#67341 07/04/06 05:56 PM
P
Floor mounted stove recpt are perfectly legal. Next to flush mounted low in the wall and by low I mean all the down as far as possible the reason is so the stove can be pushed all the back tight tothe wall. that is why almost all stoves come with a space back side bottom and the draw is shallow.

#67342 07/10/06 08:36 PM
From the thread "Back to the Boss's House"

DetroiterRob
Member posted 07-10-2006 08:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
back into the kitchen, now that the range outlet is straightend out (ill get ya some pics soon) there are 2 double hung small bay windows on one wall, about 32"wide and 16-18" deep with a nice copper tinned roof on the outside and yellow pine trim on the inside, a very nice looking setup once its completed.. the bosses wife wants to have one or two lights inside each window. i was thinking of either those halogen puck lights or 4" cans with an eyeball trim or somthing similar, anyone have a better idea, or reccomendations on a reliable product for the area, once the drywall is up and everything finished this is one job i dont want to revisit anytime soon... thanks
Rob

#67343 07/10/06 09:18 PM
T
2, 4" mini cans are by far better than a puck light imo.

Shake n Bake
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard