ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67219 06/29/06 08:36 PM
M
Have a question for the EC residential contractors.
I haven' done a bid for new home for a couple of years and not getting back into it.

My question is with the price of wire what is the ball park for a square foot price.
We supplied everthing electrical except for lighting fixtures for around 2.40.

Just curious.

Thanks,
Ken

ken
#67220 06/29/06 09:31 PM
E
e57 Offline
All depends on location and general market. Around here doing point or Sq' is a bad idea, 90% of the work is custom homes, and by custom I mean UBER-CUSTOM. T&M @ $90-120 hr, or bid generated by gross estimate of same cost basis after pouring through every single detail and elevation. You need to charge for what you want to make, and perform, or loose it in back charges....

For instance, every outlet in the whole house I'm roughing now (Formerly owned by our Mayor) must be leveled to 1/8" tolorance 1/2" above baseboards, that will be leveled on the whole floor from a single point, with specific locations dialed out on the elevations. Zero tolorance on lighting! If an outlet or any of the 200+ recessed cans hits framing, they re-frame for it..... Layout alone is 3/4's of the actual work.

Even on speculative no-brainer D&B's the bids go out the same way, with fudge factors depending on the GC, Hassle and Tripe factors too for full adjustment of final price. Depending on the street, add parking in too.

Really its the only way to stay alive here, but I am in a rare market - The Soveriegn Island of San Fransico. (One of the most expensive markets in the country.) Drive across a bridge, different ball-game completely. Price by point and Sq'.....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard