ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66939 06/23/06 03:27 AM
togol Offline OP
I can't help myself, these moments are too silly

Doofy 14 enjoys hanging lights !

they are not too hard to hang since they are plug-ins, and require only a little thought ,
but one afternoon ........things changed.

He had to R&R two old wallpaks, with two P/E .... after the third day....... his lack of ability began to shine for everyone to see

High-Bays are single voltage, and rather a no-brainer, but the supplier had cunningly delivered wallpaks with .......

Doofy 14 : "...... other wires in the fixture , what ones do you want ? "

another electrician...let's call him "Easy"
replies," whatever the voltage of the old lights is "

Doofy 14 : well, I'm reading around 495 with my Fluke T5
Easy : well then hook it up for 480v

Doofy 14 : umm, OK
Easy : I'm going to go check out a crane, stay out of trouble !

Easy : sorry I was gone so long, I fixed four different breakdowns....
Doofy 14 : ( not detecting the sarcasm while leaning against the building )
I think there is a problem here,
cuz...nothin' works

Easy : What ?
Doofy 14 : YOU said hook it up 480, so I did. and nothin works

Easy goes up, looks, and comes down,
" uhh why the ..... did you do that ? "

Doofy 14 : do what?
Easy : the 208,277, and 480v leads are hooked to the feed..and where are the photoeyes ?

Doofy 14 : rather annoyed......208 and277 is 485 and we got 495, and I will do the PEs tomorrow....!

Easy : those fixtures are shot, you'll need new ones, only this time use the COM and the 480 leads, cap off the others
Doofy 14 : you're gonna have to show me what you mean

Easy : if I have time

needless to say, Doofy eventually got the fixtures hooked up without Easy holding his paw , but still managed to burn up three PEs
....apparently you can't hook 120v eyes to either the 495v line or the lamp socket, he can't figure it out, but is to stubborn or stupid ask

so now the fixtures are always on, and believe it or not ,two new 120v PEs are mounted, just not wired in !

BTW, there are 480v eyes on the shelf.. [Linked Image]
but the strange number and letter "codes" must confuse Doofy

total losses.....two new 400w wallpaks and five photoeyes......about $500
time.......about 22 man-hours at $50/hr.
plus fuel for a manlift.....and a forktruck

for running back and forth for more photoeyes....

.....$1700 est.

and he keeps on ticking

'

Tom
#66940 06/23/06 09:30 AM
M
togol,

i think he used to work for us.... [Linked Image]

but he is a perfect example of why hiring people is always a crapshoot. Put him with a small contractor who isn't in the position to take a $1700 hit on what would normally be a $2200-$2500 job.

but there are a bunch of guys like him out there. he is the reason that contractors are so cynical when hiring new employees. he's also the reason that a good mechanic still has to prove himself, and can't be taken on his word alone.

all in all, this man should just be put in a round room by himself to keep him from hurting himself or anyone else.

good luck.

#66941 06/23/06 09:53 AM
togol Offline OP
mahlere,
I think this guy is related to those other three....Nobody, Somebody, and Anybody.

Nobody did it
Somebody must have seen it
Anybody could have done it

your right on the mark about someone like him driving a small shop into the ground. and the shop wouldn't see it coming.....but this plant is shorthanded and seems willing to let this crap go on...

so far, myself and "Easy" have had supervision ask us to help this guy, and stop giving him a hard time....

my response..... is to wonder if the guy has a full time job somewhere as a storefront dummy, since all he does if he gets partnered up, is stand and stare.....

Tom
#66942 06/25/06 12:15 AM
So, you got a crewman that would cost you less if you just paid him to stay home, and the managers are concerned about how he is treated by the other crewmen?? Personally I find that more than just a little irritating.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#66943 06/25/06 01:05 PM
R
Keep them stories coming thats priceless!
funny though we HAD a lisenced electrician working for us.. ( lisence was NOT out of a cracker jack box either)

In his 2 years with us he managed to blow up the electronics on TWO stoves doing panel changes by swapping the red and white conductors in the panel..TWICE.. ( how do you do such a thing, let alone NOT see a shiny #8 red in a sea of white wires)..
He also managed to send 240V to a few regular 120V power and lighting circuits in a house as well... Then claimed he did not do it!!!
Priceless one was when he shorted out a 550V, 600A splitter with his socket wrench whilst showing off.... How he got his lisence we will never know!!
A.D

#66944 06/25/06 03:33 PM
togol Offline OP
......."Personally I find that more than just a little irritating."
------------------------------------------------
Radar, yes I'm ...."irritated".... and I'm not even on his shift.!

Two of these anecdotes are from the guy I call "Easy", the man who actually has to work with this menace...this episode was his..

Rewired,
there are a couple more stories, and I will try to get them on today......

I think Einstein wrote : " the difference between genius and stupitity, is that genius has its limits "..
..or something like that.........

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard