ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66910 06/22/06 04:38 PM
J
jhess Offline OP
Me and my roomates just moved out of a house that we had rented for 3 years. All the sockets worked before we left, but now, the landlord is saying that six of the sockets in the house were blown and he charged $500 dollars for it. It is an old house and most of the sockets aren't even grouded. Painters were in the house after we left and we're thinking that if they were actually blown that it could of possible been due to them. I tried calling electricians in area but no one will give me an estimate for that type of work. Wondering if anyone has any idea of roughly how much it would cost to replace the sockets. Also, if anyone has any ideas about how six of the sockets could suddenly just blow out I'd greatly appreciate the insite. Thank you

#66911 06/22/06 06:07 PM
R
By sockets you mean "receptacles" or
"outlets"??
Dunno, to me it sounds like the landlord:

1.)Does not know what he is talking about("blown")?? how is the socket "Blown" ( actually went up in a plume of sparks??, does not work??, does not hold plugs??)

2.) Is trying to pull a fast one on you and get some work done at your expense...

3.) Both of the above...
Just my personal opinion and I am not trying to bash anyone but I deal with
"landlords" and "tenants" every day, as the company I work for does maintenance on hundreds of rental properties... Countless times I get handed work orders for " blown" outlets, "blown" sockets
( lampholders) , "Blown" baseboard heaters.. you name it..... Sometimes it actually is a faulty device but more often its just a tripped breaker, a tripped GFI or the like, nothing spectacular..
Oh ya, we have had calls where one receptacle or fixture or switch has "blown" resulting in every outlet or light in the string "blowing" and now needing replacement according to the landlord, when in fact it was just one faulty outlet or connection and all it required is replacement of THAT defective part or repair of the connection and thats it, the rest of the circuit is intact and fine...
Now, like I said its just my opinion but I think something " fishy" is going on there... If it were me I would go to the landlord and ask him what outlets were at fault, and what the EXACT nature of the problem was... Get the Landlord to show you a copy of the invoice for the work done, which should also indicate the origin of the problem such as ( loose connection, bad outlet, tripped breaker, customer requested X outlets replaced) that sort of thing....
By the way, you mentioned the outlets were not grounded??? They are probably so old and so worn that they wouldn't hold a plug firmly, and is a result of NORMAL wear and tear, and NOT by anything you have done to said outlets...
A.D

#66912 06/22/06 09:57 PM
E
e57 Offline
Not that this is legal advice.... But tell the guy to spin... Or, "prove it!" Agree to random third party to correct it.

"Painters were in the house after we left and we're thinking that if they were actually blown that it could of possible been due to them."

Painters often remove the cover-plates, some go as far as to remove the device, thinking the are smart cookies. Most are high on fumes.... But that is another story. Needless to say I have no love loss for painters, or floor re-finishers, and sheet-rockers, and general handy types either for that matter. As 9 out of 10 if something electrical is not working after they park the station wagon, it's them.

Simular story, I had just finished a job, and the owner, after re-deciding on a color change with the painters involvement, decided to change device color. They didn't like my price to do this work, but the painter said he could do it. (T&M @ ~$15 an hour) Then later called me and said a bunch of dimmers blew up, and outlets here and there were not working.... (Funny, they all worked when I left.) Tried blame game, and witheld final payment on my work, had to hire out to another guy at about my same price plus troubleshooting, who bless him, called me, and with little perswation faxed over the detailed invoice... (Co. name in new panel) Just the ammo I needed when I went to court. [Linked Image]

Mis-wired 3 ways, and outlets...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#66913 06/23/06 12:23 AM
B
Really sounds like the landlord is hosing you if you gave us all the facts.

Take him to small claims court...or maybe Judge Judy. [Linked Image] I am also a landlord, no way could I charge for something like this unless it was malicious or grossly negligent on your part.

Link Copied to Clipboard