ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#65138 04/26/06 06:18 PM
F
festus Offline OP
Had a rush call to a residence this morning via. the dispatcher from the POCO homewire program. Fax stated" flickering and dimming lights, momentary outages,sizzling noise in panel,partial intermittent power, incoming voltage checked out ok by POCO."
Got to residence and found square d main breaker, 100 amp, had snap on terminals cooked on one leg. Bus bar looked ok after cleaning up. Rushed the breaker to the supply house and they didn't have one and they tried to find another in the area, but no such animal was to be found. They said they could get me one by tomorrow morning for 136.00. I ordered it and brought the old one back to the residence. I explained to the customer that I needed to wait till tomorrow to replace the breaker, but that I would hook up the good side of the breaker to half his panel so he would at least keep partial power to watch tv and keep his food cold overnight.
He became distraught and somewhat abusive and demanded full power immediantly. Nothing I said would bring him to reason. He called the main office and demanded an explanation and they let him have it. They said that his home could burn down, and they backed me up 100%. I told him he had two choices, 50% power for one night or 0% power. This fellow is as thick as a brick, and this repair is costing him nothing. I could not leave an arcing main breaker on in his home, but he is too dense to realize it. Sure hope tomorrow is a better day.

#65139 04/26/06 07:14 PM
C
Sure hope tomorrow is a better day.

How will that be possible?

They said they could get me one by tomorrow morning

You have a date tom'row with the box of rocks [Linked Image]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#65140 04/27/06 01:35 PM
F
festus Offline OP
Picked up the main breaker, $159.25, and went to customers home. His attitude was much better and he was apologetic. I also said I was sorry for the delay, but he had to realize it was beyond my control. Snapped in breaker, powered up panel, and everything worked. Customer happy now, and I am also.

Link Copied to Clipboard