ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#64870 04/20/06 08:04 AM
F
frank_n Offline OP
I need to illuminate pictures on a shelf. The shelf is 78" wide and 24" from the ceiling. I would like to use 4" LV lights and an eyeball trim. I don't know how to figure out how far away from the wall I should place the cans and how many cans I'll need.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank

G
A decent lighting supply house can answer that, or try the manufacturer.

You can also do a mock-up of sorts by buying one can & trim, and get something to serve as a shelf of about the same depth, perch the 'shelf' on something (boxes?)against the wall a couple of feet above the floor, hold the can light a couple of feet above that and move it back and forth to see what distance makes the best overall light coverage at the 'shelf'. A little trial & error without any damage and little cost.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
A
You may find the max angle of the trim in the catolog. Mark on the wall where you want to be then use an angle finder gage to help pick can location. I would not figure on the max angle side so you have some adjustment.

H
Frank,

I've found that the top of my circle or oval that the light projects on the wall is real close to 1" down for every 1" away from the wall. So figure out how high you want the top of the beam and move off the wall the same distance.

Frank:
First, let me welcome another 'Jersey Guy' to the ECN forums. I'm close by to you & my e-mail is in my profile.

Mfg catalogs (cut sheets) or specs can give you the info you need. I'm assuming you are going to a supply house, not the 'big-box'??

Remember, if you are talking MR16/MR11 the actual beam spread of the bulbs is important. Also, did you think of the adjustable 'gimbal ring' type recess??

John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard