ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#6440 01/06/02 03:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Not only are the electrons going to become confused by the insulation color coding, but now they have to lose some weight to squeeze through the pancake wire.

#6441 01/06/02 11:43 PM
R
I've been reading the web site. I'm guessing that they are going to claim the thing wire is safe because all the circuits have a GFCI on them and the layout of the wires is probably Hot-Ground-Neutral, so you cannot but a nail or screw into them without causing a ground fault and cutting off the circuit.

The things to consider are stables that could easily cause a high resistance short between hot and neutral. It would also be possible to drive one nail into the hot and one into the neutral when hanging a picture. Another good way to get a high resistance short.

I don't see how this flat wire can be safe unless the plastic coating is bullet proof.

#6442 01/07/02 08:55 AM
I've used something much like this as a part of a LV "tapelight" display lighting. Block Buster Video used to have them in their stores. All they powered were LED's at + or - 12VDC for chase lighting effects.
I wouldn't trust this stuff for any use above that. The thought of 20A @ 120V running through something like this makes me cringe. [Linked Image]

#6443 01/07/02 11:52 AM
M
Hi, Sparky.
With apologies to Don for going on a slight tangent...
One item I have seen on occasion which scares the #^$&*#$& out of me are devices such as duplex receptacles and light switches which either have been, or are still being used, in mobile home construction. These devices are made all-in-one (device and cover plate as one piece). The romex wires are laid into a channel on the back of the device, where a contact "pinches" through the wire insulation to reach the conductor inside. Then this whole thing is simply attached to a hole cut in the wall. What can be more convenient than this...practically no tools involved, no box required, and works MOST of the time [Linked Image]. I saw a friend attempt to unplug a kitchen appliance from one of these things, whereupon the entire device, cable and all popped out of the wall into his hand [Linked Image].

Kinda elevates the "back-stab" devices to a higher level (but I don't want to beat that dead horse any more...).

Rbiro has a good point to make about the staples and nails. It creates a situation that may not "show itself" right away, but beware...

Mike (mamills)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard