ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#61640 02/01/06 04:07 PM
D
I really can't be enrolled in any apprenticeship program since I'm not union, nor is my company. So, I guess private apprentices are called helpers.

I'm not raising hell at all. I've decided to keep my mouth shut, especially to gain more knowledge.

Thanks for the info from all of you.

#61641 02/01/06 06:57 PM
T
tkb Offline
I don't know about other states but in MA you cannot have "helpers", "laborers" or any other clasification unless they are legitimate subcontractors.

You are either an electrician or apprentice. And if clasified as an apprentice you must be registered by the company with the state and then the prevailing wage is a percentage of the electrician rate.

If you are not registered with the state then the company is required to pay the full rate whether you have a license or not.

I know of many companies the have got caught and had to pay 1st year apprentices the full electrician rate.

#61642 02/01/06 07:36 PM
L
You do not need to union to registered as an apprentice. There are other apprenticeship schools other then the union. I know in Maryland,on prevailing wage projects, you can classify a person as a laborer, but they are restricted as to what job functions they can perform. NO hand tool use, No ladders. Brooms and shovels, move materials -OK You need to check into your local state as to what the rules are . There should be person who comes to the project to verify people etc They will answer ALL your questions. Ask them !
In this life time the only person you can count on to look out for you is ..... YOU !

#61643 02/02/06 12:13 AM
C
In Connecticut, i am registered by a non-union company with the state. I am halfway through my apprentiship hours. I know i had a little trouble getting registered because the state requires a ratio of 1 journeyman to 1 apprentice up to 2 journeymen...after that(over 2 journeymen) you need a 2 to 1 ratio. So maybe this is one of the reasons your employer has not registered you yet??? I was cheated for 2000 hours of time(my whole first year in the field) live and learn I suppose. I would want to kill someone if they were cheating my out of $5/hr. good luck! and be smart about it!

[This message has been edited by Clydesdale (edited 02-01-2006).]

#61644 02/02/06 01:24 AM
E
DSpanoudakis...
i just finished doing work at the Manhatten pyc. center (under the triboro bridge)
i'm a non-union contractor,all my men got j-men wages as they're not in an apprentice school.This gets ch'k by the state with a certified payroll.and yes...it's around $75/hr.
if he lists u as a laborer you can't be doing anything but humping material...
bill

#61645 02/02/06 09:01 PM
D
Humping material? Far from it. I run and bend conduit all day, run circuits, read and layout blueprints, rough-in work, finish work, etc. That's the reason why I asked if it's fair since I just don't clean and move material.

#61646 02/03/06 07:06 AM
T
tkb Offline
Sounds like, since you are not a registered apprentice and doing electrical work on a prevailing wage project that you are entiltled to the full electrician rate.

It's the law.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard