ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#60729 01/11/06 01:07 AM
W
E57,

Sorry I buried it so far down as to make it unclear:

The risks are so large that neither the NEC nor the listing agencies are willing to say 'safe enough', and the risks are large enough that they have killed people, and I would never advocate using this sort of installation, but none the less the risks are very small. Essentially a proper cost versus benefit analysis says that this cord is far too dangerous to use, but such an analysis weighs a small risk against the cost of killing someone.

I totally agree that this system is not acceptable. But it dangerous in the same way that driving with a BAC of 0.2 is dangerous; you will _probably_ get home just fine, but the chances that you will kill yourself or someone else are so much greater than 'baseline' that the danger is unacceptable and illegal.

-Jon

#60730 01/11/06 08:05 AM
Thank you Mark. I do agree that somehow, someway this guys must be stopped. I've reported him to eBay, and e-Mailed him. This guy can be an idiotic murderer, and he wouldn't even know it.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#60731 01/11/06 10:26 PM
Having a device like this being sold on a public website like EBay, sets a whole new precedence.
As has been mentioned above, these devices and others like them can and have killed line-workers in the past.
To blame a line-worker for thier in-attention during an outage, for some idiot down the road, is just stupidity in itself.
That "idiot-stick" that someone referred to above, is a one shot test, current at the time that it was performed.
While the HV side should always be Earthed while being worked upon, exactly how do you do that when you have a whole set of poles and lines lying on the ground?.
IMHO, if you want to use a genny on permanently installed wiring, get a transfer switch.
The thing that would concern me most would be if the CB on the genny was bypassed because it couldn't deliver the expected current. [Linked Image]

Explain to my co-workers wife, why a guy needed heat and A/C while my mate died from a back-feed??.
I go with NORCAL's idea. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-12-2006).]

#60732 01/12/06 02:11 AM
W
I suppose someone might use a 2 way switch (SPDT) light switch to transfer an individual load (like a fridge) from POCO supplied power via the usual circuit breaker panel to power supplied by a local generator via some form of over current protection. The switch's center contact is the load, one end the POCO and other end the generator. Probably not code, as such switches are not specifically designed or listed for such service (and might fail POCO shorted to genrator). And thus not trustworthy enough to protect linesmen.

#60733 01/12/06 09:51 PM
T
He's at it again.. 6028694154

here's the link to complain..
http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=InlineSelfHelpWebform&wftype=2023&rcode=BN%25P10305&subject=Encouraging%20Illegal%20Activity&bcrumb=%20eBay%20Policies%20% 3E%20Prohibited%20and%20Restricted%20Items%20%20Encouraging%20Illegal%20Activity

[This message has been edited by techie (edited 01-12-2006).]

#60734 01/14/06 05:51 PM
Even Lowes' website says NOT to plug it into a wall outlet:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/SelectGenerator.html#4
Click on Safety Considerations.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 01-14-2006).]

#60735 01/14/06 06:25 PM
I found a link where unsafe items can be reported to the CPSC...

https://www.cpsc.gov/incident.html

I'm curious if there is something they can do with this...

#60736 01/14/06 06:32 PM
FYI Also... DO you think we had something to do with this guy changing his "warning" on his page???

Ebays suicide cord

IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY THAT THE MAIN BREAKER BE PLACED IN THE OFF POSITION BEFORE CONNECTING A GENERATOR TO THE HOUSE CIRCUITS.

now reads

IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY THAT THE MAIN BREAKER BE PLACED IN THE OFF POSITION BEFORE CONNECTING A GENERATOR TO THE HOUSE CIRCUITS. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN THE SERIOUS INJURY OF A LINEMAN WORKING ON YOUR LINE OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE. IF YOU THINK YOU MAY NOT REMEMBER TO TURN OFF THE MAIN BREAKER TO YOUR HOUSE BEFORE USING THE GENERATOR CABLE, DO NOT PURCHASE THIS DOCUMENT. SAFETY OF OTHERS IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

I think he's just trying to pad his disclaimer with what we've written him [Linked Image]

#60737 01/14/06 07:48 PM
IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY THAT THE MAIN BREAKER BE PLACED IN THE OFF POSITION BEFORE CONNECTING A GENERATOR TO THE HOUSE CIRCUITS. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN THE SERIOUS INJURY OF A LINEMAN WORKING ON YOUR LINE OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE. IF YOU THINK YOU MAY NOT REMEMBER TO TURN OFF THE MAIN BREAKER TO YOUR HOUSE BEFORE USING THE GENERATOR CABLE, DO NOT PURCHASE THIS DOCUMENT. SAFETY OF OTHERS IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

The bad thing is, a lot of innocent people viewing this will probably have to hit the dictionary for the term "Lineman."

Ian A.

#60738 01/15/06 10:01 PM
S
Well whadaya know!
"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

I wonder if he will re-list. I know I'll be keeping tabs.

*typo*

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 01-15-2006).]

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard