ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#60644 01/08/06 12:56 PM
A
AZSam Offline OP
Last evening I was helping a friend modify several GPS tracking receivers. I noticed the following:
Circuit board Thailand
Battery Germany
Sockets China
Chips Japan & Taiwan
Housing Philippines
Capacitors Malaysia
Assembled Mexico
Sold U.S.A.
I have noticed that many of the former better manufacturers such as NuTone, now provide products that are mostly foreign made and have dropped their former lifetime warranties. I suppose it really is a global economy.

Sam

#60645 01/08/06 01:25 PM
Sam:
This is only the start, although it's been around for a while...

Not only electrical equip/devices, etc.; but everything!

NAFTA, Global economy, etc.

We are becoming a country that slowly don't actually manufacture 'things' anymore.

John

John
#60646 01/08/06 02:19 PM
M
Other countries that do not make anything are Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Jamaica, ect. We are making a huge mistake. Our childred will be the ones who suffer.

#60647 01/08/06 03:32 PM
E
e57 Offline
Dare I say it.... You would NOT want any factories that made those type of things in your town for the obvious environmental problems, and the companies that make them would not want the litigation hassle. Or to pay someone a living wage to work in one, and the average consumer at Walmart would not want to pay for anything made in one.

Remember this is the "Information Age", we're suppossed to be selling technology to all those countries still stuck in the past "Industrial Age". [Linked Image] That does NOT work well for the people who want factory jobs, they were all supposed to go into the service industry, Trades (like us) or learn engineering or computer code by now, and work from home right? [Linked Image]

By that plan: What we are really failing in is schools. And people willing to stay in them...

Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Jamaica, ect. are still stuck in the "Stone Age", we are doing a bit better than that. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-08-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#60648 01/08/06 09:00 PM
R
As we lose our manufacturing, we lose our ability to manufacture the items needed by our military, and soon we will no longer be a world power.
and the average consumer at Walmart would not want to pay for anything made in one.
And the pressures from that company on our manufacturers, is one of the biggest reason that they are leaving our shores. I wonder when big business and big government will finally wake up and realize that the manufacturing jobs that we are losing result in us not being able to buy thier products and pay taxes?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#60649 01/08/06 09:19 PM
W
Big companies won't care because the markets will have moved just like "our" jobs did. The rich get richer and the middle class is slowly going down the tubes

#60650 01/08/06 10:58 PM
E
e57 Offline
There are many different reasons why manufacturing is moving out of the country.

The major one is that it was planned... I remember being told in High School that this was "Planned" to happen. Who's plan it was, I have no idea... Many people did not listen, head or hear about it, and missed the boat. Sad to say.

Then there are the economic reasons, and there are many... Major one is people work like dogs for pennies a day in those countries, they have no unions, lawyers, taxes, zoning laws or EPA to worry about.

Not sure how many of us surf, (those who do, know this story) but this type of story is what is leading to the end of manufacturing really. The cost of buisiness doesn't match what you can sell things for if things are made here.

The short version of my explanation is that the state of California and especially Orange County where Clark Foam is located have made it very clear they no longer want manufacturers like Clark Foam in their area.

This letter is pretty telling... Full text

People want power, but no power plants, they want cell service, but don't want to see the antenna. People want high tech low quality electronic devices at near disposable prices, they don't want toxic waste, or to pay more for them so thier nieghbor can have a job.

Mark Heller
#60651 01/09/06 12:23 AM
M
Alas dear Clark Foam, I knew ye well....... Man I have many good friends that shape boards for a living. Things are not going so well for them all of a sudden. They are not alone though. How many did General Motors lay off last month? How many lay offs from plant shut downs in the country in the last 10 years? I am going to start practicing my Mandarin.

#60652 01/09/06 02:49 AM
E
e57 Offline
American farmers moving to Brazil.... Listen to this story! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5080400

Mark Heller
#60653 01/09/06 09:21 AM
S
Yes - Its all too sad and frustrating for most "commoners" to understand. Most of the public are like masses of sheep that wont lift thier heads to see the impending slaughterhouse coming. Its all sort of Orwellian really... Who thought our great powerfull country could be sold off so easily. If all we were giving up was quality of life that might be OK enough to choke down but, it's GONE way beyond that now. Say some big prayers for the coming generations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard