ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#5985 12/18/01 08:41 PM
M
Hello
On Sunday I was working in basement(electrical room) in the new building. I'm helper in (NYC). I don't understand why power from electrician room(main room) to elevator goes on pipes(inside riser)... Why not just riser? Is it a big deal?

#5986 12/19/01 09:56 AM
W
Mike
You may have to give us a little more picture here. Are talking about the building main electrical room or the elevator equipment room? Is the room on a lower basement level or at the roof level? Some elevator equipment rooms are at the bottom of the lift, and some are at the top. The NEC has several requirements for elevators, see Art. 620.

#5987 12/19/01 10:32 PM
Broom Pusher and
When you mention Risers, is this Bus Duct [Busway]?
Bus Duct / Busway will have Vertical enclosures running though the floors, and have Breakers Tapped off it at each Floor's Electrical Room.

If this is what you are referring to, then the most likely reasons for the Elevator Equipment being Piped are:

1: Elevator Equipment is in a location that's much easier to service from direct Pipe Runs,

2: Elevator Equipment incorporates a Standby Generator / UPS

3: Bus Duct feeding per floor user end equipment should be separated from the Elevator Equipment's Power Circuits and other heavy loads-such as HVAC, in order to lesson the problems of Power Quality for the Tenants.

Let us know if this makes sense!

Scott SET..

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard