ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#59515 12/06/05 08:20 PM
P
I've been researching roto-hammers to add one to my toolbox.
I've had good luck with Milwaukee products in the past,So that would be my first choice.
My primary uses are for driving ground rods, and drilling through concrete for SE cable (2" core bit or smaller)
However I would like the ability to drill to 4" if the situation arises.
What I don't fully understand is the difference between SDS,SDS MAX,or Spline Drive.
I'm also confused with the choice of "thinwall" and "thickwall" core bits and their specific applications.
Thanxs, Dave

#59516 12/06/05 08:35 PM
Cat Servant
Well, you're on the right track by first defining your need; that is, how you intend to use the tool.
In fairness, you will probably end up getting two, or even three, of these tools, for different size jobs.

For most of your needs, including core drilling up to 2 1/2", an "SDS" drive tool - the smallest of the batch- is fine. The tool is reasonably lightweight and handles well on a ladder.

The next step up is the "SDS Max" and "Spline" drives. These have a larger diameter drive shaft, and are used for more demanding jobs. They are the smallest tools to be of any help in driving ground rods, and a driving attachment is available (Use it!).
It seems that there is more available in "SDS Max" than "spline."

The final category are "demolition hammers." These tools hammer only, they do not drill. They are very effective in breaking concrete and driving ground rods- though hauling even the smallest (35 lb.) up a ladder is no fun. Typically, they use 1 1/8" hex shank tools.

All of these tols are pricey. While this forum has had many opinions expressed as to brands, I suggest that you rent various models, and find your own preferences before you part with the cash.

#59517 12/06/05 09:58 PM
E
e57 Offline
Bosch and Hilti are the only two I would consider on roto hammers, especially the size you'll need, and Hilti's a little more pricey. Spline has limitaions on bits and range, and what you want is high impact energy. Just get the job done! Some lighter ones just tap away at rods....
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail?H=175982&G=54915&I=55056&T=1

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 12-06-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#59518 12/06/05 10:06 PM
M
SDS, SDS Max, and Spline refer to the type of chuck the tool has. Just like English and Metric the types aren't interchangeable. Generally speaking SDS Max and Spline are found on the bigger rotary hammers and SDS Max has pretty much replaced spline. Some manufacturers even have a "conversion" chuck that allows you to use, say, spline, in an SDS Max tool. That could be useful if you had an assortment of spline bits and buy a new tool.

I'd second the suggestion renting any tool you're considering buying.

#59519 12/07/05 01:33 AM
S
SDS Max is becomming much more popular than spline. I can see it becomming the standard not too far in the future.

I have a Makita 4000(?) rotary hammer and I LOVE it. Extremely well made. As nice or nicer than the many Bosch drills I have used in the past.

I personally think Hilti is ridiculously over priced. Real nice and well made but come on. Maybe the big commercial and/or union shops can afford them, but not lil' ol' me.
And I have seen failures with them as well. I have a small Hilti 1/2" hammer drill. The armature went on it. I priced a replacement and it was more than a whole new drill from a comparable mannufacturer.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#59520 12/07/05 11:22 AM
O
We have been using the Hitachi DH38YE 1 1/2" rotary hammers for about ten years and I will buy nothing else. They last longer and hammer harder than Bosch and Milwaukee hands down. Hitachi hammers cost much less and last longer. I have been very happy with the Hitachi SDS drills as well.

#59521 12/07/05 09:18 PM
A
Been happy with our Milwaukee spline drive. Sometimes it will not drive a ground rod in all the way. It seems like the clutch kicks in too soon but it's well used so maybe something is wrong. Bosh is good too. Hilti is the top of the line but more pricy.

Tom

#59522 12/07/05 09:31 PM
D
Hilti user here.

Not one complaint.....

Dnk....

#59523 12/07/05 09:44 PM
S
If you want great drill bits for these drills at reasonable price...try this guy. He is from Canada, but ships anywhere.

I have bought several from him, not the *BEST* quality, but can't be beat for the price.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Hamilton-Core-Drill-Bits-Magnets_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

#59524 12/07/05 10:42 PM
H
You might consider one with interchangable chucks. I have a Metabo, I think it's a model KHE28 but don't remember for sure. It was a little more money but it takes the place of two drills on the truck. It can be used as either an SDS plus rotary hammer or a 1/2" keyless chuck drill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard