ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#59185 11/29/05 02:29 PM
I
Hello Everyone!
I've been reading this site for a while but finally posting.

So be kind.

I've gone through the process to get into the apprenticeship program in my area (local 481) and I have some questions.

I've already gone through the test, and interview and scored a 93.5. I was wondering if that is a decent score?

The selection process is in Feb of 06 and I was wondering if you are selected what happens next? Do you get a chance to give 2 weeks notice?

Also, is the work steady? I have a family to provide for and would love to get 40+ hours so I don't have to get a 2nd job.

A little background on me:
I'm 28, married with kids (son - 3, daughter - 3 months). I'm currently working in IT as a network admin, pc tech, help desk but my last couple of jobs have moved overseas. I'm willing to work hard and at the bottom I just want a good job that makes a decent wage.

Thank you,

jp

#59186 11/29/05 06:16 PM
T
Union Shop/Merit Shop discussions are usually avoided here. My only comment will be that because of their low cost, apprentices usually work regularly. Journeymen sometimes endure extended layoffs.

Dave

#59187 11/29/05 08:43 PM
Tom Offline
As Dave pointed out, apprentices are usually kept fully employed. There are several reasons for this beyond the cheap labor aspect of it.

Keep in mind that you'll probably be starting out at 40% of scale, so this might be a pay cut in the short term.

There is a projected (or actual) shortage of electricians (about 50,000) so now would probably be a good time to get into the trade, you should keep busy as the more chronologically gifted of us retire.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#59188 11/29/05 09:33 PM
E
e57 Offline
"scored a 93.5. I was wondering if that is a decent score?" Only a bad score if the cut off is 94....

Wow, you're 28 and want to work 40 hours a week? You're doing buch better than this guy....
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006577.html

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#59189 11/29/05 10:22 PM
Cat Servant
Tiger, I don't think this is a union/merit isue in any way.

In Reno, the non-union apprenticeship operates in pretty much the same way.

If someone passes the test, and IF they pass the interview, and IF their juju is good...they get a call to come in. I doubt anyhting will ever happen so quick that notice cannot be given.....the problem is that the hopefull one walks out of the room, thinking he's "in"....only to wait...and wait...and wait.

Any apprenticeship is worth the effort. At the end of it, you have a marketable skill, training, and the paper to proove it. Most jobs, after four years, you've received maybe a 50 cent raise, and live with just your hat in your hand.

#59190 11/30/05 02:15 AM
L
"...scored a 93.5. I was wondering if that is a decent score?"

I like to think so. That's what I got on both my Master Electrician's and Contractor's tests.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#59191 11/30/05 12:57 PM
L
Indy,
The apprentices at my local are working almost as many hours as they can handle right now and the journeyman are lucky to get 4 months a year in. It's only been that way for the last four or five years and is going to get better (knock on wood).
Scale here as an apprentice starts at 40% of scale, right now the newby's are making 13.30 per hour, and increases 5% for every 1500 hours of OJT except the first 2000 hours. by the sixth period or "punch" you'll be up you'll be up to 75% scale.
When I first considered getting into the trade, my main concern was the time it took to complete the apprenticeship. My father, a very wise man, said..."Those years are going to pass whether or not you go into this trade. What you call yourself in 5 years is up to you."
I don't know the scale in INDY but, I would figure it has to be close to here.
I know times are slow in the midwest for Journeyman but, by the time you become one, things should be better.

#59192 11/30/05 05:12 PM
I
Thanks Everyone!
My main concern is getting into the trade and not having work. I don't mind starting at the low end of the pay scale or at the bottom of the ladder. I just want to work and have steady work.

I finished all the tests/interviews in August but I think because of a slow down they delayed the selection process til Feb 06. I know in Indy there are some pretty cool things going up (new stadium, new airport wing). I'm real excited about getting in. I just hope I do get in.

Thanks again,

jp

#59193 11/30/05 05:39 PM
G
Come to Florida, there is plenty of work. Don't expect to make $30 an hour tho, unless you are piece work and fast.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard