ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
royta Offline OP
I am currently a licensed electrical contractor in the state of California. My wife and I are ready to move, and we'll be flying to Idaho this month to look at homes. I'll be submitting my Journeyman's application to the state this month.

What study materials did you use for the state of Idaho? Are there any crash courses available where you take tests repeatedly, like for the California electrical contractor's exam? I've never taken a Journeyman's exam and don't know what to expect, nor do I know what to study.

Thanks.

Roy

E
I took and passed the Idaho exam in 1977. It only cost $10 a year, including the test.
Back then it was administered by the state building inspector at the Boise town hall. He gave us a 100 question test to complete in 3 hours, listing our answers on a yellow pad of paper. It was open book, using the NEC. No other references were allowed, but there were several theory questions.
I'll bet it is a little different today.

Earl
R
I could be wrong, but I believe that it is similar to the Utah journeymans test.

The Utah journeymans test is three parts. The first is a code test, second is a theory test and last is a pratical test. All of the tests are done on a computer.

As far as a study guide about the best I could do is say study a book like UGLY'S or another formula based book for the theory part. Also study the bending formulas because they ask you how to bend conduit on the computer.

As for a study course I am not sure.

P.S. Where are you planing on moving too?
I live in Utah about 15 miles from the Idaho state line.

Chris

R
royta Offline OP
Thanks Chris. We're looking at Boise. It has the easier climate (less snow) that my wife will be able to handle. It also has enough city life for my wife, and back country isn't too far away for me. It is perfect for both of us. I can't wait to get back to enjoying four seasons again.

We thought about Utah, but the only place my wife was considering was St. George, but I don't feel like working there in the summer. I went to Snow down in Ephraim from '94 through '95. I've always wanted to move back to Utah, as I had some of the funnest times of my life living in Utah.

R
Roy,

Boise is a great area, lots of growth. Me and my wife have thought about moving up there, because we have friends in Meridian.

I live in Logan UT about 5 hours away. I know Boise is alot warmer in the winter than Logan (seems like the artic tundra aroud here in the winter).

Good luck with everything. [Linked Image]

Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard