ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
dear customers
all electrical motors are factory pre- charged with smoke.
If you see smoke coming out of your motor,the motoris no good anymore.
We cannot re-charge the motor with smoke.
you will have to install a new smoke pre-charged motor.
....there you go...

I can say the same for a now-defunct make of cinema projector console. [Linked Image] The wiring in that abomination was poorly marked, undersized and routed against every bloody sharp edge of the unit!

I also had the misfortune of frying a 2kW Xenon rectifier. It is available in 120v single phase and 220v single phase. Guess which one I connected to 220v? [Linked Image] That was one god-awful smell. Think dirty socks meets rotten eggs and dead fish. That old beast used selenium rectifiers (diodes) and they burned quite nicely with the aforementioned smell. That on top of the traditional burning copper/varnish smell from the coils.

Stupid should be painful.
M
When doing my usual lecture in Power Quality, I strap a capacitor across the mains to prove a cap is not a linear load. Well, one day my trusty lecturing aid decided it was time to say goodbye and popped its top off with a spectacular bang.....

... and a shower of oil all over the delegate sitting just in front of my desk! Leaving behind, of course, a smell that lasted days in the lecture hall.

M.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard